PDA

View Full Version : Convert Photo in 3D Model..My setup..No laser ;)

khalid
03-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Here is the small setup i made to generate 3D models from simple pictures..Following are the results of pictures i snapped at various angles.... it is than converted into 3D object..its marvelous.. No laser setup, no point cloud, no stitching of surfaces.. its give you complete 3D model within few minutes..

Once i made a wind mill for electricity generation.. I removed the blades from PM generator hub.. and pasted the grid patterns on it....

Rotated by hand and taking pictures (No camera stand required) ..almost 16 pictures in 360 degree angle...

Here is my complete setup with CAMERA in my hand

This is the first picture i took...

Rendered model from images..

Model in 3D mesh..

Model in shaded mode

Texture applied

khalid
03-28-2009, 02:14 PM
here you can see some more work i did .. and check the smoothness of the model.. its almost accurate

phil_o
03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Khalid, you blow me away. You are doing some of the most creative work I've seen in a long time. Keep it up and keep on posting. Thank you

dana_swift
03-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the inspiration- one of these days I will get back into making 3D models. In the mean time I'm getting distracted with regular production issues..

Annoying when that happens isnt it?

I'm curious: What software did you use to create the mesh from the photos?

D

gene
03-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Simply Amazing. It shows youre talent to do this type of work with the limited tools at hand . Keep up the posting

scottbot
03-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Khalid,
You are an amazing guy.
Thanks for sharing...again.
I always look forward to your posts.

Scott

wberminio
03-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Khalid

Could explain in more detail how you accomplished this?
Thanks

Erminio

mccoy178
03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
This is a very cool project. It's fascinating to see you figure this stuff out. I'm wondering, how did you make the internet where you live? What was the hardest part about making the computer, the motherboard or the processor?

erik_f
03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
I can't say about the software part of it, but I'm sure the disk with the black circles is a key element. I noticed each set of black circles is in a different pattern. These patterns I guess are used to line up each picture in 3d space. As long as you can align the dots in angle and size, you should be able to get a very good representation of the object in 360 degrees.

khalid
03-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Okay here is the software web link.. Its easy you go there and read, download the functional Demo and do some testing..its very very simple...

http://www.3dsom.com/features/index.html

It make 3D model but it gives you no great details.. This model can then be imported in other softwares for sculpting like 3D StudioMax, Artcam, Zbrush, Aspire, MudBox etc.... its easy for me to put intricate details on these 3D Models...

I like the simplicity and really enjoy working..

Ben

I am not that good in making computers ;)... Salute to the persons who made the computers and are still working on them to improve and enhance its functionality...

mikeacg
03-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Just came across a similar concept today. I haven't had time to investigate yet but I thought someone else might like to try it. It says the software is free and all you need is a line laser and a camera.

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

This helps explain how it works:

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/user_manual/getting_started

Mike