PDA

View Full Version : I was going to buy the full Monty but after reading here I may have changed my mind.

knight_toolworks
09-16-2006, 11:05 AM
I am getting an inheritance and I have been needing some extra income. I make wooden hand planes and it has never really made me a living.
So I wanted to get a shopbot for doing all kinds of things. Sign making 3d work cutting out parts in sheet goods doing moldings. Cutting out small parts Make some of my tools and so on. I work with pretty much only tropical’s so I was going to get the PRTalpha with spindle and the large vacuum pump. I can have all 3phase power for everything so that’s not an issue.
But after reading with the power issues with a spindle and that I don’t need to be super fast it may not be the way to go. The vacuum pump that I am not sure of I can see using a shop vac and I have a nice 29” vacuum pump I could use for small parts. But since I am not going to do standard things all the time I wonder if I should still get the big pump?

I want versatility and I don’t want to do mass cutting my shop is too small for the material handing. I am going to get artcam pro. But should I get any other software to make sure I have most bases covered?

myxpykalix
09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Rather than go with a several thousand dollar vacumn system go with 1 or 2 fein vacumns (in the $300.00 range each) and save yourself a ton of money. Regarding a spindle, personally since i'm not a 8 hr a day production shop i don't see the need or expense of a spindle. I can buy 10-12 routers for the cost of 1 spindle. Regarding artcam pro, once you have it you probably won't think you can do without it, however, you may want to start out with the software included with the bot and let it pay for buying artcam pro.

knight_toolworks
09-16-2006, 08:51 PM
yes been thinking of the fein route. I have the more powerful pump for backup too.
but cutting tropical wodos takes a lot of power. more then just about anything else.
now I am debating on using my regular cyclone for the dust. if I am doing a large project will have to leave it on for hours. normally I seldom have it on for more then a hour or so. I may want to use soemthing else for that job.
as far as software the comparison page makes it look like artcam pro covers most fo the software that shopbot sells is this the case?

mikejohn
09-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Steve
If you are using solid timbers, think hard and long about any vacuum hold down system. Look closely at clamps and shop made hold down jigs.

..............Mike

knight_toolworks
09-18-2006, 12:58 AM
ther solid timbers was one reason ithought of not getting the big vaccum and getting smaller ones and clamps and such.

mikejohn
09-18-2006, 04:38 AM
Steve
How thick is the timber?
How absolutely flat is the timber?
I create 'blanks' which are thicknessed precisely, but leave them a day and they have a slight uneveness.
This doesn't affect my work, but I don't use vacuum.
My system is peculiar to my work, and may not help others, but I will post pics shortly, as it may give ideas for some people.

...........Mike

jsfrost
09-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Steve,

Could you be the Steve Knight from PCSI days?

Artcam Pro is capable software, which allows you to do some very sophisticated work. I enjoy using it, but I belive it is a poor investment for most if profit is a motive. The additional detailed 3D things Pro can do, are typically more difficult to sell at a fair price than flat and V carved items.

Unless your business plan is predominately 3D or cost is no object, I would recommend starting with less spendy SW. I use Insignia for real projects about 20 times for each time I open Pro. Most of my Pro time is learning not doing. However, If I were making a choice today, I would go with Vcarve Pro at 1/6 the cost of Insignia and, it appears, with better support. And do not underestimate Part Wizard. There are limitations, but it is surprisingly capable.

knight_toolworks
09-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I doubt I would do more htne 1' stock. and yes it is not always flat. I hope to also do flatttening of large panels too. so that could not be clamped with a vaccumm

knight_toolworks
09-18-2006, 12:19 PM
so if I wanted to do some 3d work (though I doubt i would draw anything myself) inlay work parks cutting duplicating 3d parts and such.