PDA

View Full Version : Grandson's Toy Box

tmerrill
03-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Just finished a toy box for my grandson, who turned one recently. Used Aspire's 3D modeling tools to create the blocks with his name on the front.

Also used the new Version 2 inlay feature to develop the cutout toolpath and matching inlay pocket for the dog's head (one of the 3D clip art included with Aspire). I was very impressed with the inlay feature and highly recommend it to all. I cut the female pocket slightly oversize using the allowance and the fit was perfect.

Last picture shows the final inspection. I'm happy to report that it passed inspection and is in service.

Tim

myxpykalix
03-12-2009, 07:34 PM
looks like he's making a toy out of the box!. Others have suggested this when i made a few blanket chests and toyboxes that you get one of those "easy closers" (like a screen door closer).
Great job, looks fantastic!

tmerrill
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Jack,

These hinges are called torsion hinges and they are made specifically for an application like this. They are marketed by Rockler and are the best I have seen - however, they are not cheap. Your suggestion might close the lid slowly, but has pinch points.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21288&filter=toy%20box%20lid

Tim

myxpykalix
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Tim it shouldn't pinch him if you take him out of the box! lol
Is that made of maple? What is the finish?

tmerrill
03-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes, it is wormy maple finished with 6 coats of shellac, and glazed to bring out the blocks and even the color. Finished with two coats of water based poly to make it "little boy" resistant.

david_gardner
03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Nice work Tim. Where are you getting your wood?

tmerrill
03-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Hi David,

I either got this batch from Mountain Sawyers in Fletcher (recently moved from Fairview) or Bee Tree Hardwoods in Swannanoa. Great prices at both places. I can email you if you want more info.

Tim

mikeacg
03-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Excellent Tim! I can't wait to try Version 2!!

Mike

tkovacs
03-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Nice! Real Nice!

david_gardner
03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
I'd love more info, never heard of either place.

jhicks
03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice work. Might also consider a small "jewelry box" type removeable tray toy carrier set on some interior framework near the top. It's a pretty deep box for him to reach over and down to the bottom of. Just a thought but he'll grow into it.
Looks like lots of room for a great Christmas.
I like the elevated top gap away above the sides. Keeps from pinching fingers or "hiding out" in it which I'm sure will happen before too long.
Guess you could basically "hang a tray" on that gap front to back as well. Then he could slide it side to side to get toys below.

tmerrill
03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

David, I sent you an email with the info you requested.

Jerry, great suggestion (where were you a month ago???). I'll watch and see how things progress. Considering he has averaged almost an inch per month in height his first year, he'll probably be able to reach the bottom before I get it done.

Tim

benchmench
03-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Very nice! Did you do the joinery with the bot or something else?

tmerrill
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi Dan,

The eight mortises in the legs were done on the ShopBot. Simply made a holder from scrap mdf and it took less than a minute per leg using a 3/4" straight bit. Then cut the sides and front/back to width on the table saw and ran them thru the router table with a 3/4" bullnose bit to round the edges. Fit was perfect.

The dadoes for the plywood bottom were done on a router table.

The new "Bone" fillet option in Aspire 2/VCarve Pro 5/Partworks 5 will make traditional mortising easier on the ShopBot, as it will accept a square tenon.

Tim

Tim