PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot PRT 48x96 question

matt_raymond60
10-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I have a chance to buy a 2004 Shopbot PRT 48x96 at a decent price. I can't quite afford a new ShopBot so used is the way I need to go for now. If it all works out then I can buy a new one down the road once we get our business built up a bit more. I would be using this machine in our cabinet shop to expand our capabilities and test out some new markets. Are there any issues with this particular model that I need to be aware of? Will ShopBot support a second tier owner of their machines?

mmason
10-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I bought a used 2000 prt and have had nothing but great help from this group and Shopbot support.

Mike

thewoodcrafter
10-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Matt,

Is the machine an Alpha? Does it have a spindle?
How is it set up for hold down?
All important things for a production environment.
How much?

ShopBot WILL support you as an owner of a used machine.

matt_raymond60
10-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't believe that it is an alpha. It presently uses a router. Not sure yet about the hold down, I am going to see it Monday. Just looking for things that I should check when I go see it. I have been reading as much as I can find on here and other places to know what to look for.

matt_raymond60
10-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Mike,

Have you been happy with the machine? What do you use it for?

gene
10-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Matt,
I have an prt alpha and have been happy with it . Mine uses a spindle and a vac hold down and i use it to cut cabinet boxes and doors . A very good asset to my shop. Also this forum is awsome for the help and parental supervision it gives.

thewoodcrafter
10-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Matt,

Search the posts, lots of discussions on a standard vers an Alpha.

I believe an Alpha with a spindle and vacuum hold down is a must minimum machine for a cabinet shop.

You can cut parts with less but at about twice the time and effort.

And again - the only really serious software for cutting cabinet parts is E-Cabinets and the ShopBot Link. It costs $1295.

ken_rychlik
10-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Matt If you build a kitchen or two a month you can get by with a prt. I have an 2004 PRT and am happy with it.

If you make ten kitchens a month you will be frustrated with a PRT.

Find out if it's upgraded to the 4G board. Thats about $1500 extra if not. Find out about vacuum hold down. You would save at LEAST one thousand if you don't have to add that yourself. Look at the Z slide where it rides in the bearings. If it still has clean edges and the metal is not worn down, it won't have to many hours on it. If the metal there is worn out, you have a machine with lots of hours on it.

After welding up the gantry to get rid of the slop and changing the Y car hold down, I can cut pretty acurate parts with it.

I have seen the alpha run and the main difference is speed. The prt has paid for itself in my shop and it doesn't call in sick. At least not yet it hasn't. lol

Kenneth

matt_raymond60
10-22-2009, 10:28 PM
I took the plunge and we now own the 2004 PRT. It is not an alpha and doesn't have a vacuum hold down (yet). I am aware of the limitations of it and we will now begin the learning curve. I got it at a good price from a great guy, he was nice enough to deliver it and help us set it up so that we didn't have to fumble around figuring it out by ourselves. I don't forsee it replacing our tablesaws at all but we will use it to try to expand what we can provide to our customers. We just finished a really nice bathroom vanity that had one blank drawer front on it that could have really used something.

cabnet636
10-22-2009, 10:39 PM
you have a really good tool in your shop now!!

jim