PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Machine

tradition_wood
03-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Looking to buy a hinge boring machine, never had much need for one but recently began using the Blum Inserta hinges and need the 2 side holes drilled so it is either use 2 setups/operations or look for a machine.
Anyone got one for sale? got 2 I am waiting out on eBay but maybe a better option out there.

Thanks

stockbub
03-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I bought this and a drill press. I have been using this setup for 7 years now. Drill probably 100 doors a month. Last month I broke a gear and had to replace it. Only problem I ever had. COST was substantially less then standard boring machine.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=947-828&search=Hinge%20Boring

porscheman
03-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Geoff,

I purchased a Blum Minipress on eBay about 18 months ago. For $900, I got a machine that was nearly new and I've never regretted it (especially compared to the cost of a new machine). Like Martin, I had been using several different types of drill-press mounted devices, but the Blum is top-of-the-line.

By the way, Fedex Ground will handle large packages up to 150 pounds at prices significantly lower than UPS or most freight carriers. Shipping costs on my Minipress were less than $70.

Just my two cents....

Gary Campbell
03-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Geoff..
I also purchased a minipress off eBay last year. It was less than a year old for $800. Luckily my son was able to pick it up in Detroit and we saved the shipping. Even though these tools have a very high retail, many of us can remember that the manufacturers and distributors were giving them away if you signed up to use their products.
Since you dont seem the need the "press" function you can surely save a few bucks with a bore only machine. We also have a MeplaMat 1500 if anyone needs it.
Gary

wberminio
03-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I pickuped a Grass machine about 10 years ago
My supplier had a deal I had to buy ,I believe about
2-300 hinges and the machine cost me $300.00,and they set it up for me.

Try asking your supplier for some kind deal.They make their money on selling hinges.

BTW this the best way to drill and mount euro hinges.Fast;easy;accurate

Erminio

tradition_wood
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Martin,
I had looked at that setup and buying a small drill press to leave dedicated.
So far the machine I am looking at is lower than that so I will wait and see.
Gary,
What would you want for the MeplaMat 1500?

I am going to call my sales rep and see what sort of deal I can get, I called one supplier and they wanted $2800 for the Blum Minipress, plus shipping from MN!

Of course this would be another notch in the "reason to buy" column for the shopbot argument!

coach
03-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I paid $1,000 for my mepla hinge machine in 2007.
Drills holes for the hinge and the 2 dowels.
It also presses the hinge in.
David

gene
03-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Geoff,
My supplier that i purchase my blum hinges from sold me 2 blum air press machines for 550 ea . they are for the metabox drawer system but can be set up for hinges as well ( if you try the metabox system i think you will like it ) my supplier is wurth wood group 18008689669 and my sales rep is Tim Walthour .
they have dealerships up and down the east coast .
give them a holler and see what they can do for you .