PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my shopbot working

byoc
01-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Well...I've had the thing for about 5 months. I put it together as soon as I got it and did some air cuts and then never touched it again. I've just been to busy to take the time to transition from conventional methods to CNC. And to tell you the truth, I was a little intimidated by the shopbot. I wasn't sure how well I put it together and I wasn't exactly sure how to get from the .art file to the .sbp file to the machine (IMO the partwizard video could cover that a little better). To be honest, I was beginning to think that I had just invested about $16K very poorly. So I took some time off and went down to the shopbot factory to take the training class. Everyone there was very very cool and I felt very confident about using the machine when I left.

After 2 days of experimenting and tweeking the X and Z axis (the Y is assembled at the factory so I was good there)and ruining a few bits I finally feel like my shopbot will start earning its keep around here. I'm just waiting on some new aluminum cutting bits to come in before it officially goes to work.

wcsg
01-16-2007, 09:49 PM
It's Alive!

myxpykalix
01-16-2007, 10:40 PM
kinda makes you feel like this:
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/15140.html?1158988486

joewino
01-17-2007, 10:01 AM
I know the feeling. Sometimes you begin to doubt your abilities, but then when you hear it begin to "sing" and it actually does what you tell it to do, the feeling is great.

Mine has been running about the same length of time as yours. Lots of mistakes have been made, but they all teach you something new.

Next month I go to Durham to learn how to use ArtCam Pro. The climb is rather steep....at least for an old guy like me.