PDA

View Full Version : Nesting software.

gundog
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I have started a new line of products using my SB and I am creating my files with Part Works is there any software that would nest the parts for optimum part count per sheet? I have been doing it manually but it is very time consuming.

Mike

john_hartman
01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
I found this on woodweb.com

http://cutlistplus.com/

cabnet636
01-21-2009, 07:15 PM
you gotta get the platinum to export dxf. vcarves next upgrade which is expected in 60 days or so has nesting

fmihm
01-21-2009, 07:25 PM
CADlink's ProfileLab software may do nesting. CADlink says, "ProfileLab’s Advanced Nesting module efficiently nests parts, minimizing the amount of material required."

I don't know if CADlink's SignLab Vinyl, SignLab Vinyl Pro, SignLab Print & Cut, and EngraveLab packages can do nesting.

fmihm
01-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Michael -- The following Google search produces a number of interesting looking hits. You might give it a try:

"true shape"|"multi-part" nesting software cnc

gundog
01-21-2009, 08:09 PM
James,
Are you saying in 60 days or so I can download a newer version of Partworks that will have nesting built in? I am not very cad literate I barely get by in Partworks making simple shapes I am improving but looking at the different software I am not sure what might work and be easy to use for me and what will not. I really don't want to start over learning a new program to draw with I was just hoping there was some type of simple nesting trick I could buy or learn how to use with what I am already doing.

Mike

Mike

cabnet636
01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
cabinetpartspro ryan pattersons program has nesting

jim

cabnet636
01-22-2009, 12:47 AM
yes the next upgrade of vcarve/aspire will have nesting, tony mac has explained it here

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4733&p=32009#p32009

erik_f
01-22-2009, 07:32 AM
nest one set of parts and then try the array feature until the nesting upgrade comes out. This may or may not work for you.

gerald_martin
01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Michael:

Sit tight. The update from Vectric will be no disappointment if history is any guide.

With the continued improvements to the programming, I would say the Vectric products (VcarvePro and SB branded Partworks, and Aspire) are the wave of the future for most of us shopbotters.

I, for one, have a now mostly un-used ArtCam Insignia because I have "UPGRADED" to Vectric.

I like ArtCAM quite well. In fact, I have gone back to it on occasion for shape nesting. But I like Vectric's ease of use, support, etc. better. So, I'm looking forward to the new Vectric updates.

Gerald Martin

gundog
01-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I use the copy function now to nest parts and it works OK but I make a lot of small parts which really takes a lot of time to nest on a 4x8 sheet of material. I also use the move function to try and fit things together but then having to measure everything to make sure the tool path doesn't cut through another part or previewing the cut only to find out it was too close takes hours for me.

When I cut out a set of parts I use 5-8 different tool paths to make my parts using different bits ranging from dovetail & key hole cutters to drills to end mills and ball end mills. Tool pathing the whole sheet takes me hours then when I preview it and it cuts off a part I have to can all the tool paths and start over. I know I am whining now and some of you probably can relate but I am just trying to speed up the process.

The material I use cost me $171 - $576 a sheet so getting maximum parts per sheet is impotant to try and keep costs down. I cut UHMW and other types of plastic with my machine.

Will the new nesting be a standard free upgrade? The only software I have is what came with my PRS standard machine will I need to purchase an upgraded version?

Thanks Mike

cabnet636
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
you may want to go to vectrics forum and the upgrade will fall under when you purchased the software, but i belive the up grade cost will still be far lower than new software

jim

hespj
01-25-2009, 11:47 AM
http://shopbotwiki.editme.com/Nesting

bstern
02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
This thread got me looking for a better nesting program to integrate into my home grown CAM software.

I came across Astra-R
http://www.techno-sys.com/

Reasonable pricing very powerful and flexible.
Support has been great from the Ukraine.
Always answers by the next day.

It imports .csv files and it currently exports in XML. They are working on exporting to .XLS.

I can call it with a command line and it imports parts, nests, exports the nests and shuts down!!

Looks like the best for the money 300 Euro for standard.

I will be working to integrate it into my software in the next moth or so.
I will report back on my success.

robot51
07-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Check out InteGNPS. They area affordable compared to a lot of other nesting programs and the stuff just works. It is easy to use, easy to learn, and the customer support is fantastic.

InteGNPS is a software used for NC cutting machine nesting & programming, supporting flame,plasm,laser,water jet,foam etc. typical cutting machines. It is easy of use and powerful,with lower price.

Its website http://www.robot51.com/enu/index.html
You can download DEMO InteGNPS to try out.