PDA

View Full Version : Quick Change Colletts

GlenP
05-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey Guys, I was watching a video of a small computerized router which had a quick change collett for the router. I seemed to make changing bits very simple. Has anyone ever found any quickchange for the PC router? Perhaps these colletts have too much vibration and make for a poor cut. I don't want to name the little machine but it looks like a small planer. I am asking as I have a bad back and lately changing bits and tightening the bits with wrenches is causing my some extra problems. I have seen some that have a allen screw to tighten the bit. Any ideas??

Gary Campbell
05-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Glen...
Take a look here: http://www.midwestrapidtool.com
Gary

myxpykalix
05-25-2009, 01:24 AM
The machine you speak of is a Carvewright. The quickchange collet you mention is called an Eliminator Chuck. I have one on my porter cable router attached to my Legacy Ornamental Mill and have used it for years with no problem. However, being on my legacy it doesn't get the long cut files like the shopbot so I haven't run it for hours at a time.
Another problem you have to contend with is that it is for 1/2" bits, do if you have a project that needs 1/4" bits you will need a insert to reduce it and that i've never done. It may work fine.
As far as changing bits (I only use 1/2" bits on legacy) its a little timesaver, not much.

cabnet636
05-25-2009, 06:23 AM
jack there is an actual "quick change chuck" sold by sears and is the standard on the "carvewright" the chuck you have is an aftermarket accessory sold as the quick change is no where near as well built as the eliminator!! i have destroyed several of the carvewright "QC" chucks and would not trust one on a cnc. i also have the "precise bits" repacement er 11 chucks and they are good, wrench is too tight but they are worth the money.

jim

myxpykalix
05-25-2009, 11:46 AM
James,
What I have is specifically the Eliminator Chuck that i bought thru Legacy:
http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=20

I have seen those quick change chucks for the carvewright and they look like junk. They just snap in. The whole machine is not that great.
These were pictures of my specific setup.

cabnet636
05-25-2009, 11:59 AM
jack the eliminator rc chuck has made it to the cw aftermarket as a replacement for the junk chuck, i could not agree with you more on the cw and i can say that from personal experience as i bought one when they first came out. people ask me to sell it to them but i cannot bear to intentionally let someone down that bad!! the eliminator is a great chuck we have them on our pc table routers

bluecollar
05-28-2009, 10:50 PM
A friend in my local woodworking club loaned me a Craftsman quick release collet which fits a Porter Cable router. It uses the quick change inserts that are used in the Carvewright system. Craftsman part number is 26696. They're not available through Craftsman anymore. I've got a set of the 1/2" inserts (pn 26697) and am trying to get a set of 1/4" inserts (pn 26698?). Both of these appear to be available from Craftsman.
I haven't tried these yet, but will this weekend. If they do work, I'll be back to ask how I can set the tool number within Partworks to automatically assign the depth and not have to zero them each time.