PDA

View Full Version : Grid ideas for 5 x 8 table

stockbub
03-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Any ideas for a grid pattern for a 5 x 8 table? I will mainly be cutting 4 x 8 plywood and 5x5 baltic bitch. Would like one side to be able to clamp 1x12 material for clamping carving and smaller pieces.

jhicks
03-17-2007, 12:57 PM
here is one we use. Based on shut offs and single or grouped zones we can run about any increment in 1' z 4' or combinatins up to full 5' x 10'
Key is zone sizes and shut off combinations to achieve good average sizes based on your intended sizes.

I've sent you a word document since I can't get it to post here or resize it.

mnrite
03-17-2007, 03:10 PM
I use a grid system copied from the big iron machine we have at work. It has a 2" x 2" grid pattern (1/4" x 1/4" grooves) over the whole table surface and 8 vacumn ports with rubber stoppers connected to a couple of shopvacs. By putting 1/4" dia. foam cord in the right grooves and stoppers in the right ports I can make a zone of any shape and size I need.

Thanks
Mike

stockbub
03-17-2007, 04:35 PM
That was another question it seems like some grids have wide grooves like 1/2" while others have 1/4" Any suggestions on that?

gary_n
03-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Mike,
where are you getting your foam cord and rubber stoppers? That sounds like a great idea.

mnrite
03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Gary,

I used the drain assembly from a stationary tub (lowes), easily connects to PVC pipe and comes with the stopper. I would like to find a stopper that gives a better seal, but these work for now.

Thanks
Mike

3imoh
03-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I am thinking about something similar for my prs table. I want to try gluing a pvc pipe through the table, then machining out a pocket over the pipe that allowed a disk of ply or mdf to pop in. I was going to put some vac tape on the bottom of the disk.

Seems like it should work ok, but I have not had a chance to try it out yet...hope to mess around with it in a few weeks. Has anyone tried this before?

-H