PDA

View Full Version : Fein as a HVAC pump

magic
04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Can I run a single line from a Fein to a Bell Jar and remove the air from two part epoxies or from two part RTV silicone such as Platsil?

Has anyone tried it? if you don't have gages you could try styrofoam and see if it expands 4 times it's size, or more.

Brady Watson
04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes, with a few issues:

1) Degassing should really be done with 15"Hg or more to totally degass the mixture. 7"Hg may not be enough to do this.

2) You really need to keep the liquid from crossing over into the vac system and getting sucked into your expensive Fein. I use a paint pressure pot that I picked up from Harbor Freight for this purpose.

-B

magic
04-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Thank you

I was going to buy a Richie 5cfm (175.00 used, with a bell jar), from a friend who makes some serious molds. He's been using it for years and says he leaves it on for 10 to 15 minutes. He uses it constantly - but I may just get a Fein, and go from there.

Can I also use the Fein to make Blister Packs? I want to package my products nicer or even make enclosures,

Brady Watson
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
You can't beat one of these for the price: External link to Surplus Center Part#4-1669 (http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009040322025856&item=4-1669&catname=air)

Only downside is that it is 230v. This is what I use for both vacuum bagging and degassing.

-B

magic
04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Really

I'm in an industrial that gets 230. or I can wire a few breakers together LOL

So by the looks of it, I gust need a few hoses and a pot, yes?

Brady Watson
04-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes - a few hoses and a paint pot.

AND...You can make yourself one of these - Simply AWESOME for vacuum bagging large layups:

It allows the high CFM Fein to quickly evacuate a vacuum bag etc, and bring the negative pressure up to about 6-7"Hg. While this is building pressure, the check valve flapper ($11 @ Depot) is open allowing lots of airflow as the Fein builds pressure. As max pressure (7"Hg) is reached, the Gast (or other) low CFM, High Hg" starts building pressure and quickly climbs to it's max of 26"Hg. As it is doing this, the pressure differential between the Fein and Gast causes the check valve to suck closed towards the higher negative pressure, and now you have the best of both worlds...Providing, of course, that you do not have leakage. If you do, the Fein will take over again, automatically via pressure differential & the valve, and maintain vacuum up to 7"Hg, unless leakage is excessive. Simple, cheap & effective.

-B

magic
04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Wow, I have a project to make that even I can understand!

Thank you very much.

So what type of large layups type projects would you use bags for? I can only image several layers of wood veneers being glued together to follow a form.

Brady Watson
04-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I use it mostly for fiberglass & carbon layups, but it works equally well for wood projects like laminating & clamping the heck out of a torsion box layup etc. For those that vacuum form, it is perfect for that too...gets you over the hump quick by sealing of the hot plastic, then pulls hard & fast to max Hg" until the part is fully seated.

-B

magic
04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Fantastic help.

Now I just need to get the Fein by itself without the canister and I'll be entering an entire new dimension (no pun intended) in manufacturing.