PDA

View Full Version : Indexer Tutorial (my version)

myxpykalix
04-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Ok what i wanted to do was to make a traditional fluted column. Bill Young answered a lot of questions and here is what I did to achieve results.
I have a 6" diameter glue up of 4 2x6's.
I didn't know how many flutes and how far apart and how wide i wanted them.
I created the fluting file using the indexer virtual tool.

Because i had 4 joints that i didn't want a flute to fall within I zeroed above the first joint.
I then drew a line on both sides of the bit.

Then I did a MB 15 drew another set of lines. I did this marking every 15 degree increment around the circumference of the column.

Then when i went to cut them i moved the B to the first 15 degree mark and rezero'ed B. As you can see it missed the joints. I'm not concerned about the quality of that joint anyway becase 1/4th of this column is going to be cut away so that it sits on a 90 degree outside corner of a wall.

The result is a 70" tall column with the flutes starting and stopping 3" from top and bottom using a 1" round nose bit going 1/4" deep flutes.

myxpykalix
04-08-2007, 10:59 PM
No, its not snowing in my shop.

By the way what do you indexer users do to contain or collect your dust? I had my dust hood off during this operation because it wasn't sucking anything up due to the open cutting area.

dray
05-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Cool make more tutorials on the indexer.. Thats how I got shopbot to make a pic of prs alpha control box wiring (only after they deleted 4 of my posts offering others my pics of wiring) lol..

"You are not an engineer MR. Ray!! you cannot post pictures of the way things work thats too simple!!"

lol
Just teasing Shopbot guys =P