PDA

View Full Version : Puppet Stage

harryball
10-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I was asked to build a nice durable but flat stackable easy to assemble/disassemble and store puppet stage. Here is what I came up with...

Here are the eps files...

1181 (4.6 k)

1182 (1.7 k)

1183 (35.8 k)

It will need to be adjusted for your material. The rear valence slots are closer together than all the others to bind the assembly together so it goes on last.

When they stain and paint the lettering and comedy tragedy masks on the top valance and add the black curtains I'll add another picture.

/RB

harryball
10-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Why? I don't know, but when I download it trumps the .eps with a .ps extension. Just rename it and change the extension to .eps and it imports fine for me.

/RB

harryball
10-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Here is a test puck I used to get the slots right for me. I happened to have a few scrap pieces this shape, you can cut some or adjust for whatever you have on hand... or just use the idea.

1185 (5.0 k)

3/4" birch cabinet grade ply. I used a 3/8" compression spiral at 12k RPM and 5 ips to do all my cuts.

On the test puck the circles in the corners are holddown marks. The lines next to each slot are witness marks. They tell me which slot is which later. The slots can increase in size until you find what works.

Once cut I used the table saw to cut the puck in half and then did test fits. When I found the one I liked I noted the witness mark and used that measurement for my final slots.

Remember to allow for easy slipage and the possibility of paint.

The rear valence is designed to squeeze the assembled stage together to tighten all the joints. You may find you need to adjust the distance of those slots on the rear valence for your material and design.

The front valence can have a curtain velcro'd (tm) to the back of it and gathered on each side. The inside will have a curtain velcro'd (tm) to the sides and back to create the box. Two people can work in it comfortably.

If I do this again I will likely add some holes on the front panel outside the uprights. This will be covered by curtains and holes would make it a little lighter as well as give a good hand hold.

It is very stable and the center of gravity is far enough to the back to keep it from leaning forward easily.

You can not assemble it with an 8' ceiling. We were able to put it together in a 8'6" ceiling but just able to. With 9' ceilings you can assemble it upright. The sides slide in the from back then drop down. In the 8'6" ceiling there was just enough to lay the sides on the back, slide in the front and stand it up.

Enjoy, post pictures if you build one.

/RB

carlosgmarroquin
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you.

wberminio
10-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks Robert!
Very interesting.I'm sure your method will work well for other projects.

Erminio

harryball
10-21-2009, 02:54 PM
You are most welcome.

Not that you've never seen a bot cut before but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5miHdr6aeRU

This YouTube thing might catch on so I figured it's about time I joined it.

/RB