PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using HerSaf bits?

Brady Watson
08-16-2004, 07:33 PM
I was shopping for a 120 deg V bit and came across the HerSaf line of insert bits. Has anyone used these? Are they any good? Any problems?

On one hand, replacable inserts make sense. On the other hand, visions of it flying apart like a quick-change collet beg me to ask if anyone is using them.

I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks!
-Brady

paul_n
08-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Brady....

I use them A LOT, and have yet to have any problems.

If you want to send me your email, I'll forward a few pictures for your review.

Paul

ron brown
08-17-2004, 08:03 AM
I have several. I use them in every project they make sense. The Her-Saf bits I use are the least expensive bits to run I have in cost per inch/foot of cut.

Ron

Brady Watson
08-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Ron,
Please explain where they wouldn't make sense.

-Brady

bjenkins
08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I use them and like them a lot. The small body 120 is really nice because it fits through the dust collector hole. The large body 120 is great for large v-carved letters because it can cut a much larger letter in fewer passes. I also use a 1.25" flatbottom cutter for pocketing. They are well made and easy to sharpen or replace cutters. I had my first experiences with them years ago in a production machine shop environment. Bottom line-- Ron said it-- cheapest cost to run.

Brady Watson
08-17-2004, 04:15 PM
I didn't know they had different body sizes. I'll have to check them out. The only places that I have been able to locate a 120 deg bit are Gerber, Multicam and HerSaf. PriceCutter.com used to sell them, but it seems like they recently pulled the most appealing bits out of their product line. The cheapest of the bunch is still $60 a piece.

-Brady

ron brown
08-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Brady,

The "standard" insert is 12mm square. If one needs more than .480" in one pass... they are SOL. Sometimes I like spiral up/down for a purpose - that's hard to achieve with a flat insert. The larger bits will not clear the center, requiring a proper approach.

I'm sure I can think of more - but there are a few examples.

Ron

Brady Watson
08-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the 'tip', Ron.

I wasn't aware that a spiral Vbit was available. Who makes those?

The pics that Paul sent me showed incredibly clean and deep grooving with the HerSaf bit. I saw on their site that the tip is off center a little, but I am having a tough time imagining where that would cause a problem.

-Brady

ron brown
08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Brady,

I don't know where I stated there was a spiral up or down V-bit. Your original question was on V-Bits. Yes, I have Her-Saf V-bits. The come in several sizes and angles. See thier catalog for specifications.

Her-Saf also makes a fine set of Rectangular insert bits. Those were the ones I was commenting on as being as cheap to run as I have seen.

The bits do have a small off-set on the tip center. I have had no problem with the work I have done. If someone were doing very small work that would be closly examined and in a finish that would show the off-set, it would show.

Ron

jthelen
12-22-2004, 01:03 AM
Has anyone used Her-Saf 90 deg V bits.(large body) http://www.hersaf.com/cutters.html

If so what kind of depths, feeds, and speeds are you running. I called Her-Saf and asked about chiploads charts for their bits and they don't have any.

Mine seam to get dull way too fast, I am assuming I am running them wrong, so I am looking for a place to start.

Thanks
Jim

ron brown
12-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Jim,

I have a HF 120V bit and have gotten good life from the edge. I run it at low speeds in large deep cuts and high speeds in shallower cuts. Feed is limited to a maximum if 1.5isp due to my modern 5 year old or so machine parts.

Ron

superior
12-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Brady: Carbide Tooling & Machinery in Englewood has the line of HerSaf bits and replacement cutters. Their rep was at Bill's camp, where I purchase a cople of bits. They carry most popular brands also. The rep certaily seems to know his stuff. I ordered some replacement cutters for the 1500 series V cutter on Monday.(Don't ask-just take my word for it even the HerSaf are NOT drywall screw safe). Here is contact info:
866-569-5317, 201-569-5317, 201-569-6574 Fax, and finally, 69 Brook Ave, Englewood NJ 07631.
Hope this helps. I have used the 1500 series to surface my table top, absolutely perfect job. Also used the 120* V bit, also very good results.
Enjoyed your input and seminars at Bill's, you certainly have a grasp on the SB community. Glad you came aboard.
Tell Bill hi.......
Hope to see both of you (and everyone else) at my camp on April 1-2 in '05.
Till later, Merry Christmas to all......
Doug
P.S.: snowing like it was NJ here today.Brrrrrr

joe
12-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm sure that the HerSaf products are good but I have been using the Gerber V's because the tip end is countoured. This is very important on detail work where you want a fine line.

They've stayed sharp for two years now with frequent long run use. I think I have each of their V's.

J

jthelen
12-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Joe,
Where do you get Gerber V's?
Jim

joe
12-24-2004, 09:41 AM
J.

Our local Sign Supply is a Gerber Dealer, who sells both the Gerber CNC and plotters along with their other products.

I would suggest you call your local sign supply outlet. The company is Gerber Scientific. Let me know where you are located and I will find a dealer for you.

J.

paco
12-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Joe "pointed" out a quite important characteristic of V-bits; some are "true" pointed and some have flat at the tip... this get a much different result when doing fine carving and V-carving... the first I bought turn out to have flat (1/16"-3/32) but I found Hartlauer-Bits (http://www.hartlauer-bits.com/) that now supplyed me with the tool I'm looking for; true pointed. Other supplyer do have true point but one must ask for since they often have both...