PDA

View Full Version : Probing Issue

cedars
05-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a customer who needed me to duplicate the sash pictured below. I of course took it as a probing challenge for my shop bot.

The probe touched every 1/8" across the entire sash. After 8.5 hours probing, I had a successful file image. I went into PartWorks to see if I needed to alter the image through the node editing function. I opened the file to edit the nodes and only saw 43,000 nodes lined up like a piece of graph paper. No way to see the image of the sash to know what I should smooth out etc..

There are some images of the test run of the sash as it was probed, since I couldn't figure out how to edit the nodes.

Obviously, I need help to figure out how to smooth things out. The molding profile is a concern to me. I hope I am able to get a consistent profile throughout. I think I am close but I'm stuck. I'm glad I chose something simple for my first probe attempt!

I'm looking forward to all the help I can get.

Thanks

erik_f
05-09-2009, 11:00 AM
1/8" is too big of a span if you want it to turn out well. I think there is a shopbot to dxf converter somewhere out there...you might be able to do it with that.

stevem
05-09-2009, 01:49 PM
This a job for tracing, not probing.

Tracing a .jpg will result in accurate vectors and make for a much more efficient tool path. In addition, tracing will only take about 30 minutes.

myknmel
05-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok guys, and gals, I need some help. I am ready to take what I did on Partworks to the shopbot. I have it on a thumb drive. Can I just plug it in? Will it just come up in the Shopbot program?
Thanks
Melody

jerry_stanek
05-09-2009, 03:55 PM
after you plug in the thumb drive bring your shopbot program up and click on load file and go to the thumb drive folder and choose the file you made.

frank134
05-09-2009, 08:34 PM
steve I'm new here. can you tell me the differanc between using the probe and tracing. Is tracing like using a digitizer? Or do you mean trying to redraw the item.

thank you
frank