PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for router bits

mikelush
01-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi all,

Just getting started with my new shopbot and was looking to order a couple new router bits. Since I am going to order a couple of bits, I was just wondering (other then the starter bits supplied) if there are say 5-10 router bits I should pick up that everyone uses on a regular basis.

Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks in advance

harryball
01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
It really depends on what you are going to be cutting. I keep plenty of 1/4" compression spirals and 5/32" straight flutes because I use them to make our products. A cabinet maker would probably keep plenty of 3/8" compression spirals laying around. Sign guys, plenty of all the various V bits and possibly some ball nose while carvers would keep ballnose bits handy with a few Vbits.

That said, if you are just looking to play at various things the starter kit is a good start. Centurion Tools also has starter kits in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" shank sizes that come in a nice plastic box. Once you zero in on a project you like it will dictate which bits you keep handy.

As for me, in addition to my production bits that I try to keep plenty of on hand, I have a fair selection of V bits, 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" ballnose bits and a set of various 3/8" shank spiral cutters (including a 3/8" compression spiral I use to cut cabinet projects for me). I also have a MDF cabinet door set of bits. I keep a spattering so I can develop new projects but I'm always ready to order the bits I need when needed.

Hope that helps,
Robert

myxpykalix
01-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Like what Robert says above because you will want to try several different types of projects from cutting plywood to vcarving signs to doing 3d files with ballnose bits, to eliminate frustration with crappy cuts you need to start out with sharp good bits. That doesn't mean you have to pay thru the nose for them either. Go to www.centuriontools.com (http://www.centuriontools.com) and call Fred and talk to him. Their vbits are made differently than the average bit that looks like an indian arrow and the last few projects i've cut have looked like they needed no sanding, thats how clean the cuts are. I recommend them highly.

handh
01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Hey Robert,

Does Centurion keep 3/8 compression spirals, I didn't see any on the website. I will call next week, I just thought you might know.

Thanks,
Jeff

myxpykalix
01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I believe i bought one in my last batch, call fred he'll know.

3ps
01-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Mike, Look at toolsxp.com . I just placed an order and was very happy. Their Onsrud bits were lower than other places I looked at. Do your homework on what bits to get, know the difference between up and down cut spiral bits, compression bits, and straight bits. I talked to shopbot and they suggested straight and spiral bits to start with. You need to pay attention with the spiral bits as the up cut can chip the top of the surface and the down cut can do the same to the bottom of the surface. I am just starting out also, so any criticism is welcome. I will be purchasing from centurion soon for some bits to try but for now I got the 1/4" straight and downcut spiral, 1/2" straight, 90deg V and a spoilboard cutter from toolsxp. Their onsrud prices are decent. Good luck

mikelush
01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll be putting in an order tonight for a wider selection of bits.

myxpykalix
01-24-2008, 11:54 PM
I wish i could describe it better but centurion has a spiral bit that, the way it is made, keeps the top from being splintered and the bottom from being blown out when you are cutting thru. Call fred and he can explain it more eloquently.

harryball
01-25-2008, 08:02 AM
You must be talking about the Mortise Compression bit. It is a down spiral with about 1/4" of upcut on the bottom. I use those too, they work great.

Robert

jd_graphics
01-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Mike,

Without a doubt, call Centurion tools. When I started out, I knew absolutely nothing about anything. When it came to tooling, I actually went to Centurion, and Ken spent about an hour with me giving me a tour of their plant and explaining what all the different bits do and how they worked with different companies to design specialty bits for what they need. The education was priceless and I cannot thank Ken and the rest of the staff enough. I walked out with a whole handful of different bits to try out and think I spent about $150. I couldn't believe what I got for the price, it was a great deal! They are a top notch company for sure.

I've been back once since then and got to meet Fred this time, and he was just as helpful and nice as I expected. I purchased another handful of bits and walked out without breaking the bank.

Their bits perform wonderfully and the people are exceptional. Go ahead and give them a call for a real education.

Here's a link to their online toolcase... http://www.centuriontools.com/router_bits_toolcase/index.html?cart=12012669466725649
Have a look at some of those, and make sure to check out the starter kits as well.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Centurion Tools, just a very happy and satisfied customer!

Justin