PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot?

bjs
03-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I am looking for an entry level cnc for my cabinets, mostly frameless cabinetry. My question is, would I be satisfied buying a prsalpha for this type of production, or am I asking too much out of a machine like this. I have talked to some current and previous shopbot owners, and have gotten conflicting views. ie: can't keep machine square, constantly losing connection, etc. The material I would be cutting primarily would be 3/4" melamine. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

steve4460
03-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Brent

I have 4x 8 PRT ALPHA and I use it a lot for cutting cabinet parts just like what your planning and it work verry nice for that .I hear that the new PRS AlPHAS are even better .So yes , go for it .

dray
03-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Brent. I just bought a PRS alpha for the same thing.

It is more than capable for frameless (euro) style cabinets or even cutting youur own acanthis scrolled corbels etc. I do 3-4 entertainment centers a week and have always been really picky about my work. I just got the prs all tuned in and started playing and already getting the hang of all the new software etc.

If you are a decent finish carpenter it will be a good machine. Its all in setting it up. If you throw it together its gonna be junk, if you spend the time aligning everything properly when putting it together then everything else is flawless and will stay that way.

The guys that have a hard time keeping their stuff together most likely didnt set it up properly (plumb, square and level).

I have a shop in Costa Mesa Ca. You are welcome to come on by and check out the works!

www.drayconstruction.com (http://www.drayconstruction.com)