PDA

View Full Version : Lastest sign

tmerrill
07-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi,

Just finished this sign for a local doctor's waiting room. Used the latest version of VCarve Pro and enjoyed the layer's feature for design and layout. The carving is Vector Art 3D's Mountain & Forest wilderness scene and was imported as a Cut3D file into VCP4.

The sign is cherry and is about 18" x 24" overall. The wilderness scene is about 11" x 14".

Tim

paco
07-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Nice Work!... and nice finish! Would you mind sharing the finishing technique?

tmerrill
07-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks Paco,

The finish uses shellac and glaze. The following link will take you to a previous post with details:

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1742&start=0 (see May 26 post)

Please ask if you need more details.

Tim

PS - I enjoy your blog site. Good info!

paco
07-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Tim,

so you used the shellac to seal the wood right?

What was your glaze mix; I mean this product is a clear additive to mix with some thing else... what did you mixed it with? I can see it's something dark but...

One more; did you cover the glaze with something like a clear coat or varnish?

Thanks; I should have more stuff for the blog at the end of the summer... pretty busy with all sorts of projects...

tmerrill
07-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Paco,

After machining and sanding, I seal the wood with 2 or 3 coats of shellac that is cut (thinned) to about a 1 lb cut. This soaks in and drys rapidly, sealing the wood. I follow this with 1-3 coats of shellac straight from the can. After letting this dry overnight, I start to apply the glaze. The one I use is from General Finishes. It is water based and used straight from the can. You can adjust the tone by varying the amount you put on and wipe off. I normally apply 2 or 3 thin coats of glaze. I found that applying thin coats gives more control and it drys pretty fast. After the final coat of glaze, I let it dry overnight, then adjust any areas with steel wool and either finish it with 1 or 2 more coats of shellac or Deft Clear Wood Finish (spray can). For this sign, I used 2 more coats of shellac, let dry, then wet sanded, buffed and waxed.

Hope this helps,

Tim

paco
07-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Hummm.. yes, looking at the link to the product (http://www.generalfinishes.com/finishes/water-base-finishes/waterbase_finishes.htm) (glaze) you provide on the Vectric forum, I believe it's premixed with tint or something alike. The ones I saw around here are clear and one mix with desired (compatible) color or tint... looking at the site, I noticed this finish (http://www.generalfinishes.com/finishes/water-base-finishes/Milkpaint%20images/mp_basil-brickred-2x3.jpg) which I really like. I did something "similar" (different technique) for my bathroom cabinet... sort of a wear out finish...

I'm not very familiar with shellac; I'll ask my old man... sound interesting; I like when I can go on the next step rapidly.

I'm looking at making a few demos so I can start selling a little more carved piece. I tried something recently but I'm not 100% happy with the result... I think the glaze could make the process more easy and yet better looking too.

Thanks a bunch!