PDA

View Full Version : A Dream Coming True!

chiloquinruss
06-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi gang, Well after a very long waiting period my dream is coming true. Friday they started pouring cement as part of my new shop! A 40x50 home for a new ShopBot. Russ

myxpykalix
06-23-2008, 01:09 AM
cool...how long will it be before you have that space packed with tools and "stuff" so you can't walk around in it? Keep posting pics of the progress, i'm excited for you!

jamesgilliam
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Russ, congrats on the new shop. A 40x50 I am guessing about 8 months and it will be full. My 40x60 was "full" in less than a year. Currently working on the house to get some of the stuff out, then the storage shed for the rest of the hardly used items.

cmagro
06-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Russ,

We are neck in neck.....or should I say leaving the gate together.

I'm not sure what your time frame is but mine is to be dried in before winter.

Here is the elevation....

Please keep posting your progress via forum or personal email.

Christian

joe
06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Good for you.

Hope you have an elephant gun with lots of shells. Looks like you'll need it.

I built a new shop last year. You won't believe how much enjoyment it's brought.

Good luck,

Joe

chiloquinruss
06-25-2008, 12:12 AM
It is really a life long dream, first moving to the mountains in Oregon, then building my shop. Russ

myxpykalix
06-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Russ,
You and Christian should give some thought to a couple things. You may want to run the PEC pipes in the floor for radiant heat in the winter, also you should consider some type of flexible flooring that will "give" a little because i guarantee you will not want to be working on bare concrete several hours a day.

cmagro
06-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Jack,

My shop will have a stem wall with a crawl space. The entire floor will be wood (mainly for the reason you stated). The main air compressor(s) and dust collection will also be in the crawl space as well as the electrical conduits. I had my commercial metal building shop that I leased and you are absolutely right...the concrete floor killed my knees.

Christian

chiloquinruss
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Jack and Christian, I've been using a rubber floor mat designed for use in horse stalls. It's 1 in thick and is highly compressed rubber. They are fairly cheap around here in ranching country. I have limited funds so the mats seemed like a good way to go. For heat I'm installing a heat pump system that a neighbor has and it works quite well. Christian your elevation drawing is wonderful, my bldg will be just that, a bldg. A couple of doors, a roll up door, and 4 windows! Other than that it's just shop, but it'll be my shop!
Russ

tkovacs
06-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Exciting stuff! I always like to see construction pics. I put a 2x6 floor over the top of the slab in my shop. The 2x6s rest on the concrete and the 5" of space is enough to run electric and dust collection to anywhere needed. The 2x6s were arranged in 4 foot square pads so that there is free space every 4' in both directions to run services.

chiloquinruss
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Terry - what thickness of ply did you use to span the 4 ft sq? Russ

tkovacs
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Russ - 3/4" - guess I was not completly clear - the interior of the 4' pads have two more 2x6 joists to cut the span to 16" and the pads were spaced 16" apart. The ply is screwed down so a piece can be removed for access if necessary. This leaves a grid of clear channels every 4 feet.

A picture is worth a lot: http://koventusa.com/construction/floor/

Terry

chiloquinruss
06-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Terry - Thanks for the pix update - WOW! That looks terrific. Great idea. I'm from the old school computer days and of course we had floors designed to work like what you have done. Very cool! I also like the fine finish you put on the floor, sure makes clean up easier! Thanks again for the post!
Russ

chiloquinruss
07-28-2008, 02:19 AM
After having a few 'issues' with a less than intelligent inspector and then having to go an explain the 'issues' to the planning department we are now back on track! Anyhow here's the latest! Should have siding and flooring next week - Hurray!

Russ

myxpykalix
07-28-2008, 02:38 AM
If you're not smart enough to make a living in the trades usually those are the guys who become inspectors. I've had to deal with my share of city employees who don't have a clue. How long before you have it stuffed with tools?

chiloquinruss
07-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Jack - After I get my 'final' I figure about 5 weeks of interior work. Then the tools will start to arrive. I will order my 48x96Bot on the day I get my final. First tools to arrive will be my cabinet saw and my 18" band saw. Compressor and dust collector are already here. The rest of da' stuff is in my basement shop and will be moved over into the new shop as walls are finished. Russ

myxpykalix
07-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Keep in mind that if it is still the case, when i ordered my bot there was a 6 week waiting period so that five week interior work will keep you busy in anicipation. I'm excited for you!

dray
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
wow , never seen actual post and beam framing.. Is that still legal?

jamesgilliam
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Russ, Very nice, glad to see your issues have been solved. I feel very blessed that I don't have to deal with inspectors where I am at, provided I get the outside of the house, electrical and plumbing finished by Sept 1. New laws go into place here where I would have to get it inspected. Of course it is so over-built that it would pass any inspection they want to throw at me anyway.

Jack, You are so right, but I find that most of the ones I have had to deal with have never driven a nail or done electrical or plumbing! A piece of paper from an internet course is about all they have to show for their ability.

dubliner
07-28-2008, 01:45 PM
in Texas it is :-)

myxpykalix
07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
What i want to know is where are all the Amish people? That looks like a good old fashioned Barn Raising! Very cool. Please take plenty pictures to share. I'd like to see some of the joinery you're using.

jamesgilliam
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Neville, Was that your shop going up?

Jack, I think the Amish are mostly up in PA. I wish I could have had a house raising, it would have made it easier to lift the 20' sections of wall, especially since they are framed with 2x6 studs on 16" centers. The triple 2x10 and 2x12 headers didn't help either.

harryball
07-28-2008, 06:35 PM
With a few floormats and some pictures on the wall you could move into Nev's shop. Perhaps that's his plan when the wife sends him to the dog house. :-) Very nice shop.

Russ, looks like a life long dream coming true for real. Keep posting pics, especially how you lay things out.

I myself hope to build a new shop in the next few years. I'm taking notes.

/RB

chiloquinruss
07-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Jack - That's why the order date! 8 weeks until the real fun begins!!!!!

Danny - Pole barns are only legal in dry climates. Believe it or not my part of Oregon is actually dry!
Annual rainfall is only 18 inches! Soooo - pole barns are legal an Oh so much cheaper - $22 sq ft avg. Russ

kerri_b
07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
WoW! I am so excited for you!
We (actually dh) is leveling the ground for the shop as I type! I will also post pictures.
dh and I are sharing a 30 x 50. I am getting 16 x 30, he gets the rest. Although... now that I am thinking, maybe we need a 60 x 50 with equalaity and all.... and the shop will be just that... a shop. I am very impressed with yours Neville. WOW!
Kerri

dubliner
07-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Sorry folks! no thats not my shop, thats my wife's house. She lets me say its mine when something breaks. The house is made from an 1860's barn from Latrobe Pa. wrapped in SIPS.

chiloquinruss
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
OK, it's official, I got the final on the building and so I called the office and ordered my Bot! Hurray!
It's only been a few years in the making but . . . it's really happening! Russ

myxpykalix
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Russ,
Thats great news about the building however we all have discussed it and we don't think you're ready for a bot so we called and cancelled your order. Maybe in another year or so we might let you into "The Brotherhood of the Bot"...lol just kidding.

I'm excited for you, I know you are probably giddy like a little kid at christmas.

chiloquinruss
08-13-2008, 07:30 PM
<< you are probably giddy like a little kid at christmas. >> Jack, you have no idea!
I'm working on the interior walls and additional wiring and some misc carts, and workbenches. I will try and get some pix along the way and when I'm close to placing some machines I'll be asking lot's of questions, especially regarding the Bot!
Russ

kerri_b
08-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Russ,
We are at the same place with our son's house as you are with your shop...I am very excited for you and soooo jealous and soooo impatient! We get to start the shop after we finish his house. We have also had 'issues' with the 'inspectors' and water department and this department and that department....It is truely amazing! But, we have passed all the inspections and paid for all the permits even though we live in the county not a within city limits!
Take lots of pics and be careful
Kerri

dray
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Pictures pictures.. MORE PICTURES!

chiloquinruss
09-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Well this isn't exactly the post I was waiting to make but here is the completed building except for one thing! No Power! I'm still waiting for the power company to come and hook us up! The building is wired on the interior and has even passed final inspection for the structure, but . . . . NO POWER! Oh well, it is still a dream coming true. My Bot 'should' ship next week while I'm attending the California Camp. Once I have power and lights I will start the interior build out. Russ

gerryv
09-03-2008, 08:34 PM
VERY nice location and building. Great door too... careful backing out at speed! :-)

rcnewcomb
09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
I love the color scheme.

chiloquinruss
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Well way back in June I started this thread with the ground breaking for my shop. The building interior is still a 'work in progress' but the bot she is a runnin' and makin' chips!
I love my shop, my bot, and of course this forum, thanks to all of you for making my dream come true! Russ

nat_wheatley
03-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Great set-up, Russ. It can be a crazy amount of work, but well worth the effort. Very well done.

myxpykalix
03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks like a lot of work went in to getting it to that point. I'm envious of all the space you have. You should be proud of what you have there. Good job!

john_hartman
03-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Well I'm jealous.. Very nice! Is that 4" PVC for the dust collection? If so, I thought it couldn't be used because there is a risk of static build-up?

chiloquinruss
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks gang for the kudos. John yes there is a high risk of static build up. The trick is to run bare copper wire in every single run of tubing and run all that to a solid ground. When we did the rebar for the slab I had several ground rods placed into the concrete. One for the Bot, one for my ham radio gear, one for the computer stuff, etc,. I also had two for the dust collection system, one for each main wall. I also took the time and soldered each individual connection. I also bought two extra fire extinguishers, just in case!
The big space is also made even bigger in that almost all the smaller 'stuff' is on casters so it can get out of the way of projects. The roll around work table shown is the same height as the Bot and the table saw. I can go from the lumber rack to the work table to the saw or Bot. I work alone and don't have the strength to hustle 3/4 mdf like I used too! The cart really helps. Russ

Here's the lumber storage and another cart for cutoffs and more of the dust collection system. The main unit is from Woodmaster and is rated at 4500 cfm.

thewoodcrafter
03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Great looking shop Russ.
Like the high ceilings.

But the shop is too clean!!!

myxpykalix
03-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey Russ....would you adopt me?? I would just need a little blanket in the corner! The most glaring absence I see in this puicture is sawdust on the floor. Get to it....

drodda
03-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Great looking shop Russ! Glad to see it all come together.

Hate to break it to you but one day you will have to make some sawdust and get things dirty. I don't think I could ever get my shop to look that clean again?

-D

chiloquinruss
03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
The dust collector is from WoodMaster the molding machine guys. It's 4950 cfm! I have two floor sweeps, one on each wall, ya' just shove the sawdust in it's direction and the 4950 cfm does the rest.
I just did a job with surface routing and lots of cutout on 10 sheets of 3/4 ply. When I got done there was a little tiny bit of duct on the Bot, none on the table and none under the table. Its just terrific and it's also a little noisy! Each machine has a blast gate so the whole system can be directed to a particular device. Check it out at:

http://www.woodmastertools.com/NS/accessdetail.cfm?PID=88

I cut up a bunch of 2x4's for the interior wall projects and when I got through there was about a 1/2 a handful of sawdust around the base of the miter saw, it really does a great job and honestly guys, ask my wife, I'm not as neat as the pictures look, its all in the tools!
Russ

john_l
03-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Thats a cool setup Russ.

I see your vertical posts.. 6x6 or 8x8?

You also have horizontal 2x's and some blanket insulation laid on them (before the outside metal went on?).

I have a pole barn that I never insulated and its just too cold. Curious about your wall section.

Thanks, John

curtiss
03-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Very impressive Russ.

Is there a vault system where all the incoming funds can be vacuumed up and deposited ?

chiloquinruss
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
'incoming funds' I seem to have missed that part!

The building was wrapped before the siding was installed. I have been building false walls between the 6x8 poles. These false walls are 2x4 and behind them I have placed some additional insulation. Heating is done by a small 45000 btu propane heater and keeps the shop 'comfortable'. Today it's 26 outside and a 'balmy' 60 inside the shop, I use the 'keep moving' method and that seems to work.
I covered the false walls with 1/2 ply so I can hang stuff wherever. So far the layout seems to be OK. My next project is to get the compressor hooked up and plumbed in. I also want to hang some overhead wiring plugs out towards the middle of the room. I really don't like extension cords and their safety issues. One comment on the dust collection system, it takes up a lot of very valuable wall space. Those folks that designed their shops with the 'plumbing' in the floor might have the right approach I think. Russ

blackhawk
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I stumbled across this article about a year ago concerning PVC pipe used in a dust collection system.

http://home.comcast.net/~rodec/woodworking/articles/DC_myths.html

chiloquinruss
03-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Brad, Interesting reading, thank you. I also had done some research on the subject and could find no articles with the specifics of ANY dust collection fire. I have seen on this forum and others where shop fires were caused by other forces. I think it is very interesting that dust collection is pointed out to be dangerous with pvc, but pvc is almost universal in everyones vacuum systems! It's the air movement that cause the static not the dust in the air. Anyhow, I went with pvc, I 'grounded' the inside with a bare copper wire, and as I stated above, I also bought two more fire extinguishers!
Thanks again for the very interesting article. Russ

curtiss
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I have heard that air compressors which are on line 24/7 can be dangerous and cause fires if they lock up for some reason.

Not sure of your other plans, but some of the new fire sprinklers have sensors that will locate a hot spot and aim the water where it needs to go.

For all your efforts, you cannot beat having on site fire protection 24/7.

beacon14
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
pvc is almost universal in everyones vacuum systems

Good point but the amount of air moving through a PVC vacuum system is practically nothing compared to the amount that moves through a dust collection system. Also while the dust might not contribute to the static build up it's the dust, not the air, that is flammable.

tkovacs
03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
That is a beauty Russ - real nice!