PDA

View Full Version : Fish Salad Bowl :-)

khalid
03-10-2009, 06:15 AM
I am using Teflon Nuts on 5/8" 5TPI Leadscrews...I didn't install any backlash prevention mechanism everbefore on both of my machine, but after Funfair i felt to install anti-backlash nuts...

I planned to Overhaul my Machine (after 1 years of service) to check any abnormality in the machine components, I found nothing but Backlash in the Nuts.. so I just installed the Homemade Backlash nuts to both of X and Y-axes...

Today I cut the Fish bowl and the machine work great

For 12mm deep Pocket operation I used 1" Barley Twist Tool, for Profile cut i used 6.5mm endmill and V-carving was done by 12.5mm 90 degree V-bit...

The Platter Length is 610mm and width 250mm and the thickness 16mm.... TOTAL TIME 45Minutes with toolchange...

mikeacg
03-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Khalid,

Love the design! Where did you find it?

I've been having problems with breakout on small areas like you have on the top and bottom fin where you are going across the grain. Any suggestions on how to prevent that? I'm using poplar just to get the feel of using the machine so I'm guessing that could be part of the problem, being so soft. I even tried cutting a path 1/8" outside and coming back with a finishing cut but I am still getting breakouts.

I'd love to see a picture of your homemade backlash nuts if you get a chance.

Mike

khalid
03-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks Michael... This design i did myself with little brainstorming ...

You can avoid breakout if you have following checks..

1- Always use Sharp tool

2- Always use Dry wood

3- Always cut across the wood grains

4- Use high spindle speed on wood

5- If you have Mechanical problems in your machine rectify them
i) Check your backlash

ii) Check the rails are clean (no dust, debris..)

iii) Your Z-axis mounting plate should be rigid..if you move your machine and you find slight vibrations in z-axis then this may be one of the cause of chipping or breakout

iV) Ensure your tool have no runout

V) Ensure the tool tip is Perpendicular to the Stock ... check the squareness

6) If you are using Mach3, then cut down your acceleration values

7) Reduce the IPM or Feed rate

8) Perform shallow cuts

Wood properties varies along the grains, so wood has the tendency to break off at weaker locations, so don't worry... We are not doing Rocket-science...

khalid
03-10-2009, 07:20 AM
and I don't have any chip break off problem.. The top right and bottom Fins are round as per vectors..

mikeacg
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
I'll try the higher speed first. My machine is in good working condition and the bit is new. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

khalid
03-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Hope you will get better results this time

hh_woodworking
03-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Khalid,
What kind of wood are you using? It looks very soft and not a lot of grain.
Ed

khalid
03-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Edward.. its wood from Mango Tree
.. It is soft but with no beautiful grain transitions patterns