PDA

View Full Version : Sculpt Nouveau

butch
03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
This is a "Bible Box" I sold a few but this one is for a show in a few weeks.
Here is my first attempt at Sculpt Nouveau. I did this in Copper with green patina. Then polished with steel wool and wiped brown wax on and polished with a rag.
It is carved in red oak, and now that I look at it, I wish I would have used some type of filler for the grain.

Red oak QS, walnut oil and wax finish. Dovetails are cut on a jig rather than the shop Bot. I just need to build a program for the dove tails, but no time right now.

lstovall
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Very nice work Butch. I haven't found any part of the Sculpt Nouveau processes that I don't like. It's fun to work with huh.

jhicks
03-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Nice work Butch. I woudlnt be too concerned about grain yet. It has a certauin appeal and aged/rustic quaity to it. Maybe consider making medallions and applique or inlay so you can make or mold the insert?

phil_o
03-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Very nice Butch. I'm making some boxes for a show this summer and I'm struggling with pricing. Would you mind sharing how much you sold the Bible boxes for?

ljdm
03-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Jerry is right - unless you are going for the glass-looking lacquer finish, the grain in oak is part of its appeal. Looks good.

butch
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone. Probably right, worring about something that doesn't need to have time spent on. Do like the idea of making medallions. When I get some time I will work on that.
Sculpt Noveau is fun. One of the next projects is to 'paint' with metal paint and see if I can't make objects stand out with different colors of metal.

Phil

Well I got $145 for the last one. It was just like this, but I didn't use the copper finish, just glazed. This one has nicer hinges ($30 more, and copper finish) so I am going to try to get $175 for this.
The way I figured it was, (aprox) $20 for wood, $15 for the finish, $32.50 for carving time, $20 for hardware, $5 for felt lining and about $50 for my time and profit. That's why I 'Think' I can get another 25-30 for this one. Plus I am showing at the 'Made-In-Montana' manufacturing show, and one day of the show is set aside for retailers. They will expect 30-50% discount on anything they buy, so I want to make certain I have a little room to move in pricing. Even 30% drops the price I get to $122, but I hope I can get several on order at that price.

I also looked on the internet and stopped by a local 'religious retailer' to check on their pricing, and feel I am around the middle of the retail pricing for a 14 X 18 x 6 inch box.

I am working on one that will be a cigar humidor and have $60 just in parts so I hope that I can get another $75 for a humidor. Doesn't look good, when you can go to e-bay and buy them for $85.00.

Little long winded on how I price, but that is my process.
Butch

phil_o
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks Butch, I appreciated the "long winded" response. It is much more helpful than just the dollar amount. Good luck with the retailers.

myxpykalix
03-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Butch,
Being "long winded" on this forum is considered a "virtue". Many times people speak in "Shopbot-shorthand" and lots of times it gets lost in translation for me.

I had a customer who wanted a cigar box and by the time i priced the spanish cedar and hardware I couldn't make it for what he could go to the local cigar shop and buy one. I added some nice carving decoration and personalized it and that convinced him to go ahead so maybe you could offer your bible boxes with stock decoration and to make up for the drop in price charge for extra personalization?

butch
03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks Jack
That is what I am looking to do.Keep getting asked for them, but when I price them I question weather or not they will pay for them. But I get $50 for a crib board that they can get for $19, so just need to present it and see.

Butch