PDA

View Full Version : Flared corners

soupcan
04-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Can anyone offer advice on how to eliminate the flared out corners we are getting when we cut a simple rectangle. Recently upgraded to the 4g board; we have tried changing ramp speeds, cutting speeds, etc., but nothing seems to be working. We are using a 1/2" compression spiral on double sided veneer 3/4" mdf.

sawkerf
04-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Gerry, I consider myself a novice so don't take my advise as the definitive answer. It sounds like bit deflection to me. I too, cut a lot of 3/4 MDF and I have noticed the same thing at times. I think excessive RPM may cause the bit to wobble and sometimes,in my case, break. Hopefully some of you seasoned vets can chime in and tell me how smart I'm getting ;) or not

Good luck, Kip

jamesgilliam
04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Gerry, After six years I am still learning, but have you tried to change the direction of cut? I have noticed almost the same thing when trying to cut full depth on 1/2" baltic birch with a 1/4" bit. Changing the direction of cut will change the way the cutting edge attacks the material. It has helped on some of our work.

fleinbach
04-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Gerry, Kip

How deep are you cutting with each pass? You did not mention this. If you are cutting more then .2" deep the bit will be pulled off it's intended course enough that when it makes the turn it will cause a flare. Of course this will be more pronounced if your tool is not totaly tight or your bit is getting dull. Even though the bot will cut 3/4 or even 1" material in a single pass the quality of cut will not be as good as making multiple passes and using a cleanup fianal pass.