PDA

View Full Version : Part works creating an angle?

gundog
01-11-2009, 01:10 PM
I am not very good at drawing on a computer. I have had my machine now for almost a year and have got by because my parts are very basic shapes squares, circles and rectangles. I now need to create some different shapes but still very basic. I need to create a rectangle X=12" Y=3" but I need a 45* angle on the end. How do I draw that in Partworks? If they just had a triangle I could choose that and weld the 2 shapes together but I don’t see that shape to choose from.

I also need to cut a blind dove tail slot into some material but not all the way through the far end. How can I get it to make the slot then back out with out plunging up through the work at the end of the slot? I don't see where I can create a new dove tail bit. What is a form tool bit?

I am making multiple parts so I don't want to just give it simple commands to make these moves by typing in the coordinates.

I am trying to learn this stuff by myself (self taught) and my teacher is not very smart.

Thanks Mike

harryball
01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I created a rectangle. Then I created a large square and rotated it 38 degrees in my case. Then I moved the square over the rectangle so the side of the square was where I wanted the new side of the rectangle. Select the rectangle, shift and select the square, then subtract the vector. That clips the rectangle leaving the side at the desired angle.

The finished part looked like this...

I created the large rectangle, then used 2 squares at 38 degrees to snip long side of the the ends. I used two more squares at 52 degrees (the complement of 38 degrees) to snip the short corners. Then I created a rectangle, tipped it 38 degrees centered it and merged the two shapes.

Hope that helps.

/RB

Brian Moran
01-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Mike,

You can create a triangle as a 3 sided polygon.

If you know the exact geometry for your shape you can use the polyline tool to just type in the coordinates of the end point of each line which should be pretty simple for the shape you describe.

Brian

gundog
01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys this info is helping me a lot. Does anyone have an answer for making the blind dovetail slot?

Mike

tmerrill
01-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Mike,
Follow the logic here for a keyhole slot. The same principles apply to a blind dovetail.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2332&p=14822&hilit=keyhole#p14 822

If you are still unsure, let us know.

Tim

GlenP
01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Hey Guys, I use partworks to make cabinet parts everyday and making the shape you require is quite easy. You just use the node edit tool. First draw you rectangle, then in the corner you want the angle insert point (node) on each side (x,y) and set them to the proper position. I will usually draw with my one corner at 0,0 to make things easier. Once you have the two new points positioned in each side simply delete the point in the corner and it will change it to a line (angle). I do this for my gables for the toe kick and also corner cabs. Hope I explained it right. Draw the shape on paper first and then simply draw in partworks. Email me off the forum if you have any questions about making shapes, glad to help if I can.

gundog
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Thank you to everyone who helped, with your help I was able to learn a few things and get the drawings made. I still have to cut the parts but I think it will work.

I really need to build a vac system for my table. That is going to be next. For now I draw in mounting holes to screw everything down in my drawings so I can tool path everything to make sure the screws won't get hit when cutting.

Mike

coach
01-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Michael, To elaborate slightly what Glen P told you. I use the same method for mitered counter tops.
After you place the node approximately where you need it.(Right click) (Insert Point)
Right click the node then click on properties and type in the exact spot you want it.
Then right click the corner node and "Delete Point"