PDA

View Full Version : Spray painting in a one car garage

toddmaci
01-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I do some light spray painting in a one car garage. What are other people doing for ventilation? I am not looking for a commercial solution just something to get most of the smell out.

Thanks,

Todd

john_hartman
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
If you're up for a slightly new learning curve switch all you're finishing products to water-borne. I switched 3 years ago; stains, clears and paints. There is still some smell, but nothing like solvent-based products. You also get rid of thinners for clean-up as well. I spray everything through an Apollo HVLP Turbine with amazing results.

toddmaci
01-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks John,
What brand finish do you use?

Thanks,
Todd

wberminio
01-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Todd

Like John,I switched to waterborne over 15years ago.They have come a long---way. I currently use
Gemini finishes.They are the best so far.I also have several Apollo HVLP guns.I Installed a fan with shutters.John is right little smell/no thinners -No Chance of explosion.They may cost a little more but, the high solids make the up the difference.Itas the way of the future

Erminio

toddmaci
01-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks Erminio

Todd

john_hartman
01-18-2009, 10:20 AM
For the clear's I've been using Hood Finishing's Resisthane Hydro Coat and some of there stains. But I've found surprising results with Minwax water-borne stains; stray/no wipe. Cash Coating's is another good one. They have really nice stains. For paints Benjamin Moore water-borne Impervo work really well; no thinning whats so ever out of the can. If you really want to get into I can give a lot info on what I've learned. Perhaps the most important during the colder months is to warm the product and make sure what you're spraying is at least 60 degrees.

Here's a close-up of minwax stain under the Hydro coat..

http://picasaweb.google.com/JeanChristopheHartman/LibraryS#5179603915985830530

toddmaci
01-18-2009, 10:47 AM
John,
Very nice work. Was that for yourself or a client? I am surprised that you do not need to thin the Impervo. I would be interested in any tips you can provide. You can contact me via the forum or off line if you like

Thanks,

Todd

voll
01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
what is a good water-based colored lacquer?

ljdm
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Hmmm..... as much as I'd miss the cheap high, and the feeling of my brains oozing out my ears from breathing in too much spray lacquer, water based MIGHT just be the way to go. The older I get, the less I can spare any more brain cells.

Erminio........... going to have to stop by and pck your brain on the subject. Completely clueless on the matter.

A BIG plus would be reducing the chances of blowing myself up one of these days.

john_hartman
01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Todd, thanks for the praise. Everything in that catalog of work was for clients. I was shocked about the Impervo, its like it was designed to be sprayed through an hvlp!

Steve, I really haven't used any products which are pre-tinted. Are you looking for an opaque or semi-transparent? I have made toners by very slowly mixing the stain into the Hydro. Works well to darken up a color after the stain has been sealed. You can also apply a wb clear over a painted surface. It give's it a whole new look with a lot more depth. I've gone as far as tinting primer and clear coating it. Here's an example of this combination..
http://picasaweb.google.com/JeanChristopheHartman/LibraryS#5179603800021713474

wberminio
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Lou

Come on by,Let me know so I an have some coffee on for you.
Wallauers paint carries Gemini products.

Steve most companies can tint lacquers to your specs

Erminio

bcondon
01-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Erminio

Does the water base finish stand up to exterior usage?

Are you planning on another camp at yor place?

Bob

claude12345
01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
hi ,ive used waterbase laguer before but had a problem cleaning my spray equipment i used water to clean it and it didnt do a good job what are you guys using thanks

wberminio
01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Most suppliers sell cleaners that are compatible to waterborne finishes.Ask your supplier

Bob
I have used an exterior finish from Crystalac.I had very good results with there exterior and interior top coats and stains.My distributor moved away and I finally found Gemini.I have used Hydrocoat form Hood finishes and wasn't so satisfied with their product.I could arrange for the local Gemini Distributor to attend my next camp.Let me know if anyone would be interested.

Hope to see you again,Bob

Erminio

www.crystalac.com (http://www.crystalac.com) www.crystalac.com/products.htm (http://www.crystalac.com/products.htm)

poppy
01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
John-
I am in the process of switching to all water based paints and researched your recommendation on the Benjamin Moore Impervo brand. Can you tell me which you use the 314 acrylic or the C235 enamel? The acrylic is only advertised in 2 colors, white and black.
Thanks!

john_hartman
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Roy,

The C235 is a solvent based version of Impervo. The 314 is the one I use. The catch is that it is only available in Satin and you can't get deep colors mixed. They also have Impervex (309) which is also water-borne and it can be tinted into deeper colors. This one is high-gloss. The more pigment which gets mixed into the gallon weakens the durability/hardness. This goes for paint conditioners as well, they really shouldn't be added into any water-borne paint.

jeffreymcgrew
01-22-2009, 05:29 PM
We've gotten good results with some of Target Coating's Lacquer and Conversion Varnishes; both are water-borne.

poppy
01-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks John!
I am not so sure their paint is what I need. I spray a lot of dark colors, (bright red, navy blue, etc..)
Can anyone else recommend a good water based paint to be applied with an HVLP?