PDA

View Full Version : Color core

woodworx
04-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Going to V carve color core. I am going to use the 60 degree that came with the starter set. Any problems or things I should watch out for? Justin

tom_fiddler
04-22-2009, 12:50 AM
The 60 degree bit will cut very deep to get any width. I prefer a 90. The light gets in better with the 90. I have cut ALOT of color core. I prefer the look of area cleared letters. It is very easy for the narrow lines to get lost (not cut through to the center color) V carving usually leaves a line of "hairs" in the bottom. I use a pressure washer to remove them...works great.

ed_lang
04-22-2009, 07:34 AM
The point of the tool will leave hairs as Tom said above. To make the narrow lines show the color, measure the thickness of the top color, which I think you will find to be about 0.040" and start your cut at that depth.

Tom has pointed you in the right direction, use area clears to make the letters stand out and look great. Centurion Tools worked with me to design a V cutter that would cut Color Core. It has a flat on the end so the plastic will be cut, not just pushed around, leaving hairs.

It is a nice material to cut.

woodworx
04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
started cutting. The first round was expected. I ran the file again, and things are clearing up. I will power wash them when they are done, and this should do the trick. I used the 60 degree to get a deeper cut. I will recommend to my customer next time to just do a flat cut with an endmill. I do like the dimension of the letters using the V carve, but it is hard to see some of the letters when you are not looking straight on at the sign. Keep ya posted, and I will have pics when I am done. Thanks Tom and Ed.

woodworx
04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Turned out great. Had to: (1) run the file twice, (2) powerwashed, (3) cleaned out the last little bits with an x-acto knife, (4) then took a torch to the small fuzz. Sprayed a little countertop magic on them and they look perfect. They took way too long, but I am happy with them. Justin

tmerrill
04-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Justin,

Good feedback. Thanks.

What, if anything, would you do different next time?

Tim

ed_lang
04-23-2009, 12:33 PM
When I had to clean up the V's I took a dowel that fit my hand and drove a 8d finish nail in the end. Then ground a three sided profile on the nail after removing the head. This little tool has been a great scraper for the v carving clean up.

woodworx
04-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I would look into Centurion's Colorcore bit. It has a cutter on the bottom to cut the fuzz, not just push it around. This will save a bunch of time. I think it is a shallow bevel, I think around 11 degrees. I will look into a 60 degree bevel bit, specifically designed for this material next time I cut. My customer loved them, even though he told me they were just ok. Trying to keep me a bit humble!