PDA

View Full Version : Lithos are great x-mas gifts!

changrudy
12-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Here's one I did on my twin nephews. Just ordered some avery masking tape to do a better job on the lettering.

Happy holidays!

Rudy

mikeacg
12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Rudy,

The lithopanes are excellent! Please explain the masking tape statement if you wouldn't mind!

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

shoeshine
12-24-2009, 04:37 PM
nice...Is that corian?

jseiler
12-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I think he's referring to paint mask. You put it down before you vcarve so you can keep the paint away from everything else. Sometimes it works

changrudy
12-24-2009, 09:06 PM
thanks for the comments!

Yes, that's corian and yes, I'm referring to the silver letters that I painted with a small brush. I think with a paint mask, it will be much cleaner.

Rudy

navigator7
12-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Does anybody know if a Shopbot can hold a vinyl cutter stylus?

A creative gal down the road hires a guy to create vinyl cut outs she places over rocks or glass panels. Then sand blasts and removes layers as she goes:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/members/display.php?id=72
The pics don't do justice.

I'm picturing a spring loaded, reamed, sliding fit assembly that might mount right into the collet.

wberminio
12-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Chuck

Check out the bottom of page
http://shopbottools.com/spindles.htm

Fellow shopbotter Russ Todd From http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/
makes them and more

jerry_stanek
12-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I have one and it does a good job cutting vinyl

navigator7
12-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks Erminio!
I thought I'd been to every page on Shopbot...and yet there is another page! Wahoo!
What the heck are we doing on the Shopbot forum Christmas morning?
;-)

That is good to hear, Jerry!
In a real vinyl cutter, the material is held between rollers...at least the cutters I have seen.
What keeps the material held down so the machine doesn't tear it up?
Spray adhesive? Double sided sticky tape? Or perhaps the vinyl's own adhesive?

ckurak
12-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Rudy,

Is that base also Corian? If so, here is what I do.

1) VCarve the text.
2) Paint the letters, don't worry about paint outside of the letters. (I usually spray paint from different angles. Multiple coats are better than a single heavy coat. Read the paint can directions regarding recoat timings. They are not all the same!)
3) Using a fine grit of sandpaper (try 220), and a random-orbital sander, sand off the extra paint. This will not take much sanding, so sand a little, check your work, sand a little, etc.
4) Clear coat the entire piece (in your case the black base). One suggestion is a satin sheen lacquer, such as Delft. This is available in a spray can. Note: A gloss sheen will show any slight imperfections in the surface.

Just be real sure that the drying paint in Step #2 is very dry. I usually wait a day before proceeding with Step #3.

Charles

jerry_stanek
12-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I just use my vac table or tape it down on the edges.

navigator7
12-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Jerry,
I'm flip flopping on a Buddy 48 or a 60 x 96 table for 2010.
I had no idea the bots could do any of this!
There is a market here for vinyl.
I understand a vac table...but for vinyl...don't you need a fairly hard flat surface to cut the vinyl?

Got a pic of your setup?

changrudy
12-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Charles,

The base is not corian. It's maple stained black with two coats poly.

I basically did the following.
1-vcarve
2-stained entire piece
3- hand painted letters with silver acrylic.
4-2 coats poly over holes piece.

It's ok but up close you see the faults in the lettering. I think I'll try the orbital sander next time.

And why are we on the forum on christmas day!

Have a good one,

Rudy

shoeshine
12-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Chuck, doing glass mask with the widgetworks cutter is a breeze. I actually put the mask on the glass panel before I cut it, thats the beauty of doing it on the bot, as there is no transfer process to screw up.

The only caveat I have is that the blade has to swing to a new direction from the movement of the router, so it is best to avoid in the designs quick direction changes where tight accuracy is required. Sometimes very tight corners get slightly rounded. Talking less than a 16th but it shows up visually when there are mulitple tight corners near each other.

As for regular vinyl, I have had no problems just taping it down with 1 1/2" painters tape along the edges (I usualy surface my table anew before vinyl cutting) the pressure of the cutter keeps the vinyl from lifting as long as you keep it steady in x and y. Though as I have a buddy I have not done anything over 24 x 36. there might be more holdown issues with a large piece. You could ask the question in the signmakers forum.

shoeshine
12-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh and Chuck, I absolutly love my BT48, and there are definate advantages to being able to roll it around especially in my small shop. But given the space (and the $) I would go with the largest machine you can house and afford. You will end up doing stuff you never even imagined with the bot.

chiloquinruss
12-26-2009, 05:39 PM
"You will end up doing stuff you never even imagined with the bot." Everyone say AYE!
Russ

P.S. If you really have a market for vinyl in your area, give these guys a call:
http://www.uscutterdirect.com/
I've really liked their service and support.

jerry_stanek
12-26-2009, 06:28 PM
If you surface the spoil board it is hard and flat. I use ultra lite mdf for my spoil board and vac hold down.