View Full Version : Alignment question

bcondon
06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I have been running the machine just fine but noticed when I surface a part, the part has a slight edge .002-.005 (guess) on the left facing the yz carriage with the spindle on my side.

The table is surfaces and has some slight lines. This would make me believe that the spindle in not exactly vertical but off a couple of thousands... I looked through the manual but do not see an adjustment. (the machine has 25 hours of machine time so it is virtually new) .

Of course the only time I would see the ridge is moving the table in the x axis and the tool is fully the part. If I were to surface completely in the Y direction, that would fully cut with the lowest edge of the spinning tool.

I see it in the surfacing program because the tool moved in rectangles toward the center so each run in the X axis direction has a slight ridge.

Any thoughts... starting to play with 3 D cutting and I know this is going to mess it up

Thanks
Bob

bob_s
06-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Bob;
I've only had my machine a few months, but have not seen any problem from a 'slight' lack of plumb in the Z axis. I was told that some of what we see on the spoil board comes from the rotational forces at the edge of the bit used for surfacing. Another idea is that the .002 difference on the edge of a 1.25" bit becomes .0004 at the edge of a 1/4 inch bit. And almost unmeasurable in any ball mill situation.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/7/15337.html
or a search on 'trammel" will lead you to a lot of discussion about this.