PDA

View Full Version : I need help moving files.

knight_toolworks
08-19-2009, 05:46 PM
it gets old saving the toolpath file on the network drive then having to go through dir's to save the file and back and forth all day long.
is there a piece of software that will move the .sbp files to the network drive? then I could just save them in the customer dir's syncback won't do it it makes dir's with the files on the network drive.

bcammack
08-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Map the locations as drive letters. It will at least collapse some of the levels. You can even map folders on you own computer as a drive letter.

dana_swift
08-20-2009, 09:30 AM
shortcuts make moving around very easy for me.

If a program tends to open one folder each time, I put a shortcut there to go where I need to go.

Copy the destination folder, then "paste shortcut" with a right click on the "from" folder.

Hope that helps-

D

knight_toolworks
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
I have used shortcuts but you still have to jump around. it is too easy to get the toolpath in the wrong dir.
I just do it so much I want to get the process as fast as possible.

scottgus
08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Add a shortcut for your desired toolpath folder to your "Send To >" menu. I use it all the time.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270

When you right-click any file, including your toolpath files, you can choose "Send To >", then your toolpath folder, and the file will get copied over.

knight_toolworks
08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
the send too is good. though it means I have to have the customers folder open. what I really need so to add that drive in the save as menu.

scottgus
08-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Actually you don't have to have the customer's folder open to "Send To" a file. It just copies over.

But try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Microsoft has the "Tweakui" powertoy that opens up lots of different settings in XP, such as the shortcuts that show up on the side of most Save As... and Open... boxes. If your program has a Save As... box with five shortcuts down the left side (Desktop, My Computer, My Documents, Network Places, etc.) you can use Tweakui to have your desired shortcuts be there instead.

Once you have the program installed, Open it, then click on "Common Dialogs" on the left side. Then Click "Places Bar". The five dropdowns show common shortcuts to put in that side bar. You can also type in the path to any desired folder you choose.

knight_toolworks
08-21-2009, 03:38 PM
bummer I have windows 7 now. I never noticed that on tweakui. but been using it for years and got the point I only used it for auto login and resizing pictures.
the speed difference on this machine compared to xp is pretty startling.

mmason
08-22-2009, 12:09 PM
I use www.mesh.com (http://www.mesh.com)
you can have the same folder on both machines and as soon as you same the file on one it updates it on the other. Its there before I can walk to the other machine. It is also a good backup because it saves it to the online folder to.Its free and works great.

knight_toolworks
08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
this would not do what I want but it looks better then ms's live. I have had new files not get synced and i end up working with a older version. it looks like it works with my mac too. been a bear to sync now with a mac at home and pc at work.

harryball
08-23-2009, 07:34 PM
If you keep the "tree" you want on your local drive you can use MS Synctoy to mirror that directory with all the sub directories over to the network drive. It examines the files and only copies/deletes new changes.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&DisplayLang=en

Not automatic but you can run the program and it'll take care of making sure things match up. Only takes a few seconds.

/RB

knight_toolworks
08-23-2009, 08:38 PM
that may work. as long as it will put the cut files from several dirs into the single folder. I don't want the dirs recreated again. but I will have to try it to tell for sure.
if I can save the toolpaths in the clients folder and get them onto my network drive without all of the subfolders it will save me a lot of time. it is amazing how much time I can spend changing back and forth.
vcarve needs to have a default folder to save toolpaths into. then it would be a non issue.