PDA

View Full Version : Local Fire Department Donation

dlcw
08-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I just finished this project for the local fire department where I am a volunteer firefighter, wildland firefighter and EMT. I also head up the HAZMAT Response Team for the County where this fire department is located.

This sign is made from Alder and then hand painted with One Shot sign paints. Final finish is spray on oil/urethane. It hangs on the wall using a simple 1/4" french cleat so it looks like it is floating on the wall.

Don
www.diamondlakewoodworks.com (http://www.diamondlakewoodworks.com)

bleeth
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Well done-and congratulations on your current and previous service.

upsman
08-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Grate job!

phd1658
08-28-2009, 08:24 AM
VERY nice!

dakers
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
What inspired you to be a volunteer?
For me your sign represents a time of reflection.
The sign is an important reminder, warning of the seriousness that firefighters may face any time unexpected and how important they are and in some cases part of grieving process. That there is a greater purpose helps us understand.
Thanks

I googled "when i am called to duty" and "firefighters prayer" and was surprised how many lost their lives that i did not know about just in one city near me.

I for some reason think of Wagner Dodge the smoke jumper who took a bunch of young smoke jumpers into northern montana aug 1949. most died that day within an hour of jumping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_Gulch_fire

attached photo of statue in new york placed recently.

dlcw
08-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Thank you all for the comments.

Dick,
What inspired me to become a volunteer was my 23 years in the US Coast Guard (mainly sea duty) performing all kinds of missions including drug enforcement off South and Central America, fisheries treaties enforcement off West coast of US and Alaska, search and rescue all around the US including the Great Lakes and many other missions. My father spent 26 years in the Coast Guard performing many of the same missions I did except he did it as an aviator (fixed wing and helicopter) performing some pretty heroic rescues. After he retired he went to work in his community as a volunteer first responder as well as aviation dispatcher for the first responder air resources.

You could say it's kinda in our blood to perform community service.

I love the fire department and love to be in the thick of things helping people. It's kind of an adrenalin rush when you get to a scene (fire, accident, whatever) and there are people in need and you know you have the training, equipment and fellow firefighters by your side to really make a difference in a persons/families life. That's what makes it all worthwhile. I plan to stick with it until my body says "enough".

Don

myxpykalix
08-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not a fireman but I still recall vividly my first ride on a firetruck when in grade school. Thats when you start forming ideas to become a fireman or policeman.
I made a fire dept plaque and gave it to my local fire house after they came and put out the fire that consumed my front lawn....don't ask..

john_l
08-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Great work. Wow that knot was right there too.