View Full Version : Indexer positioning

webbbry
02-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Hello, I am a newbe to sb,I just got my 60x144 prt up & running,The last thing done was put on 3/4 mdf board..now tring to figure out where to put the indexer, I wont to do @ least 8' peices.Also how do you mount the indexer alum plates???

Brady Watson
02-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Bryan,
There are a few options you have for mounting the indexer along the X axis.

1. Drill holes in C-channel (under rails) to accept the indexer and AL track. This effectively mounts the indexer sideways and gives you clearance above, below and in front of it. This can be awkward if you are also processing sheet goods with the indexer still in place.

2. Notch the spoilboard to accept the AL channels, or remove strip of spoilboard and mount to angle supports.

3. Mount right to spoilboard and raise your rails or gantry to clear the chuck.

SB is a bit light on the documentation for this accessory...so many of us have mounted the indexer any way we can get it to work.

In regards to doing 8' lengths, you may have a few issues. One being sagging in the center of the length...and two being the fact that the indexer stepper may not have enough torque to hold position accurately on a part that heavy and in some cases not enough power to turn the stock reliably if doing a heavy cut. I am not sure if you are using the 3.6:1 or 7.2:1 ratio gearbox on your indexer stepper, but you ideally want the latter.

Hope that helps,
-Brady

webbbry
02-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Brady,
Thanks for answering back,&the info,,#3 doesnt sound good,,#2 I have been thinking lot about that way,I don't know how accurate hand drilling would be,I have a 31/4pc router that only slows down to 10,000 rpms which I think would be to many rpms to cnc drill or even mill (w/metalcutting endmill)into structural steel..please let me know if I am wrong on that..Can I drill into wood w/drill bit @10,000 rpms?Can I find a 8' piece of al t slot track any where?Is ok to weld 2 t slot nuts on thebottom of the indexer head,so it will not be so far out of line when alineing or changing lenghts?
#1 I'll do a lot of thinking on that idea,haven't thought of it..I like that alot ,,But don't know how far apast y0 to the y- I would ever have to go.I would only have about -.5 to -1 ..but I think it would be more out of the way for xy 0ing.
I'll be doing 6"x6"x8'so sagging shouldn't be any promblem,,But that dose'nt sound good about not enough torque&power.I beleave I have3.6:1ratio,I didnt realize how cheap it was for $2,000
Thanks again Bryan

Brady Watson
02-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Bryan,
If you mount the indexer on the C-channel, you can remove the indexer and tailstock by simply sliding it off of the AL T-track. I wanted to mount mine to the spoilboard, so I raised my gantry 2" with 1/4" wall 2X3" box tubing.

In regards to milling steel with the PC router...it's not such a hot idea for a few reasons. One, the SB isn't really stiff enough to accurately or reliably mill steel. There are a few people using Perske and Colombo routers that can be dialed way down in RPM, but it still is a bit hokey at best on a CNC router. A CNC mill like a Bridgeport would be the right tool for the job.

-Brady

webbbry
02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Brady
I think I will try to mount the indexer on, sidways under the x rails,as soon as I get a change to do it .Thank you very much Bryan