PDA

View Full Version : Looking at CNC routers

rightwing
04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I have been looking at CNC routers for a while and am now seriously considering taking the plunge. I dont however want to plunge into a murky water only 2 foot deep.

The question I have is why should I choose Shopbot over some of the other systems and how much will it cost to get a system up and running. In other words what is the cost after setup and hold down systems, etc.

I dont know exactly what I want yet, but my intial ideas are some kind of custom specialty niche. Im going to retire from the City in 4 years and need some occupation.

thewoodcrafter
04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I think between the excellent service that ShopBot provides and this forum the choice is easy.
Can you get these anywhere else?

The final cost depends on what you plan on using the machine for. Hold downs can be clamps, screws, brads, vacuum, etc. Software can be a another cost. It depends on what you make, v-carving, 2d, 3d work. Some of these programs can be purchased with the machine. Do you need a spindle over a router?

dray
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
For your dollar there is no better machine than the PRS Alpha.

I bought mine about 3 months ago and its already paid for itself.

I dont use a vacuum table havent found the need yet.

Dont know where you are located but I have a Shop in So Cal. Welcome to come on by and watch the machine make $$ and smiles.

elcruisr
04-04-2007, 01:31 PM
The biggest question is, what do you want it to do and how much of it per shift/day/week will it need to produce? Shopbots are great machines and I produce a ton of parts for furniture and cabinet work but how one is set up and final costs all start with that question. The better you can define it the more likely you are to get what you want!

cjohnson
04-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Based on your post, I would recommend that you look through the for sale/wanted catagory at the prices of the used Shopbots. Then, if possible, buy one used and give it a try while you are still undecided as to what you want to do. Once you figure out how to use the machine you may decide you need a newer one or you may want to just upgrade what you have.

I use my bot for fun and charity work right now and purchasing a used machine made cents for me. Upgrading to a new machine should not be a problem because the bots usually sell very quickly especially if you acquire it at a decent price.

I have absolutely no regrets going with a Shopbot. You simply can not beat the product, service, and support.

Good luck.
cj

myxpykalix
04-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Call shopbot and ask for a list of demonstrators (those who have shopbots in your area who would be willing to demo them for you) Also post a request in the section called "Looking for shopbot owner".
First you will find many will offer for free, and be aware that if you buy a new machine from shopbot they recieve a demonstrators fee from shopbot so don't be shy about spending time and asking questions. So if your intent is to buy new make sure you give the demonstrator credit to shopbot, after all the sale will be due to their efforts mostly.
When I was in the market the guy I got a demo from spent 6 hours with me and i made sure he got his fee because he earned it.

Read this forum and ask all kinds of questions. I had asked 87 before i got delivery on mine!

Then take your other brands under consideration and try the same thing....

You will be inducted into the "Brotherhood of the Bot" for sure, only we don't share details about the "initiation ceremony" till after you purchase. lol

stockbub
04-06-2007, 11:14 PM
I like everyone looked around at several other brands. I friend of mine just got another brand CNC for Close to $45,000 and mine , which is WAYYYYYY less does everything his will do. Do not get the standard, I had it at first, now I have the ALPHA and WOW. Another shop down the road has a Thermawood or something like that $130,000.00 Other then the tool changer, same part file cut with only a 30 second difference. I am not limited by the speed with the new alpha, but by the bit ability. Also, let me be the first to say that Shopbot customer care is awesome. I had some issues, BUT, all the guys at SB stuck in there and worked to get me up and running. Chris even called Sunday after church to help me get mine set up. I do not think that other CNC companies have that kind of service.