PDA

View Full Version : Technical specs for ultralight mdf

mthomas
02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Many folks here have talked about the advantages of Ultralight MDF (Trupan) for a variety of uses. Has anyone ever seen a technical spec sheet for ultralight mdf that declares tensile and compressive strengths? I've found density, hardness, and other specs, but never strength info.

Thanks!

Brady Watson
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Mike,
Trupan is not a good choice for structural components. It is however, the ideal material for vacuum bleeder boards and a great choice for a low cost 3D carving substrate. I get 2" thick sheets 4X8 for about $90. In structural applications it will sag if not supported underneath.

Also, note that Trupan is a totally unique animal. It is not the same as ultralight MDF. It comes in a regular density and ultralight. I use the ultralight. Ultralight MDF is typically referred to as 'LDF' or low density fiberboard.

-B

harryball
02-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Brady, you're saying Trupan comes in regular and ultralight? I didn't know that, is their a marking difference on the edges?

Also, how does Trupan hold up outside if painted? Do you have to go to great lengths to seal it or is a coat of primer and a good paint job good enough? I'm thinking of small inexpensive signs, address markers and the such.

Robert

Brady Watson
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Robert,
I've had samples of the regular density Turpan in my hand, but never bought/worked with a sheet of it. I am not 100% on this since supplier that carries Trupan Ultralight doesn't carry the higher density stuff or their melamine or molding profile lines. You may want to ask your supplier to confirm my findings. The sample didn't have a stamp on it that I recall. All of the sheets that I have in my shop have the ultralight stamp on the edge.

Outdoors...primer by itself no chance. You absolutely much coat the entire piece in epoxy (2-3 coats) for it to be safeguarded from the elements. On top of that, paint as normal.

-B

mthomas
02-14-2007, 05:13 PM
So has anyone ever actually seen spec sheets for Trupan Light or Ultralight MDF? They would be their 38lb or 32lb density mdf products respectively. At the bottom of this doc are some specs...

http://www.arauco.cl/usa/pdf/trupan_mdf.pdf

But there are no tensile, shear or compressive specs listed and I havent seen any other sources with them.

billp
02-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Michael,
Maybe you can contact Rob Simonsen and see if HE has the info you need. He claims to be the "main source"of Trupan in America, as well as the person to contact when looking for distributors..
"Please feel free to contact me regarding current distribution of Trupan
Ultralight MDF. I am the main source of product for North America and can
help you find a distributor as needed by region.
Best regards,"

Rob Simonsen
Tumac Lumber Co., Inc.
(425) 258-2217

bleeth
02-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I have been using Trupan Ultralight for structural components in cabinetry for years with absolutely no problems whatsover. Note that 100% of my use is as a substrate that was then laminated with veneer or HPL. The fact that it is formaldahyde free, light in weight, and manufactured from all clean plantation radiata pine with no recycled metallic bits in it makes it worth the extra money for me.

mthomas
02-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Very good idea Bill. Thanks.

elcruisr
02-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Yup, use the stuff a lot in our broadcast furniture. Lay it up into huge 1 1/2" thick tops. Some as big as 9' by 16'. Trupan light saves us a lot of weight. The ultra light is good but we prefer the light. Also use it for flat panel doors. Both paint grade and veneered or laminated.

dray
02-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I have built close to 400 cabinets, solely of ultralite MDF over the passed 7 years or so. Only had one problem over the years which was screwing hinges into end grain. But other than that never had a warp, sag or any problem. I have had to replace split natural wood doors on other cabinets but only the one problem with MDF.

I love the UL MDF because it is a very very stable product for cabinetry. No expansion/Contraction like natural woods

myxpykalix
02-18-2007, 12:51 AM
danny, I assume you have worked with regular mdf and the ultralite mdf. For a 4'X8' piece of ultralight how much does it weigh?

mthomas
02-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Based on tech data, cu. ft. densities for Trupan MDF, and weights for 4x8 .75in sheets are as follows:

Regular: 45lb, 90lb
Light: 35lb, 70lb
Ultralight: 32lb, 64lb

as comparison...

Normal MDF: 49lb, 98lb