PDA

View Full Version : Low level laser

woodworx
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
What would it take to turn the router into a laser cutter? Can this be done and how much would it cost?

rcnewcomb
01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Here was a discussion on it from 10 years ago:
->Link (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/28/173.html?1156603354)

ed_lang
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
As an owner of a 50W Universal Laser Systems machine, There is a lot more going on than just spinning a cutter and moving in X Y and Z. The power of the laser has to be adjusted to compensate for the speed the gantry is moving as well as pulses per inch signal to the laser. A laser is not turned on and then you move it. There is also the focus or Z movement. I have not even started to talk about the safety of a non enclosed laser in your shop. If you think a hot bit with vacuum hold down can start a fire, just wait until you reflect a bean to something in your shop! Exhaust system need to remove the smoke or the optics will get dirty and burn.

I have looked at another machine which does have a laser on it. 4'X4' was $85,000.00 My ULS M-300 50W machine was just under $20K three years ago. It has a 12" X 24" bed.

Remember with a laser, your edges will be burnt not raw wood like you get with a cutter. Sometimes this is a plus, sometime not.

Exciting stuff for sure.