of it I guess to do any better. Never drove new vehicles or anything
like that but we always had what we needed. But he worked hard, to hard
to be able to keep it up when he got older. He started driving a truck
in the mid 90's. That done him well until he started having back
problems and had to have a couple of surgeries 1.5 years ago. He still
drove a truck but just couldn't do it as much because of his back. Now
with the economy like it is the trucking industry (hauling steel
anyway) has come to a grinding halt. And because of the doctor bills
from the surgeries the bills are starting to pile up.Luckily he does'nt owe for anything but the dr. bills.
He nor my Mom are not ones to complain or tell me about their problems.I just found out
accidentally when i saw a few letters from the hospital about their
bills. He absolutely will not take any help from my sister or me or anyone else.

So for the last 3 weeks or so He has been in the shop trying to build swings to
sell. He did make a porch glider that came out really well to not have
a plan or anything to go by. So I've been looking over the internet for
plans for swings that I think would sell good. I'm not having much
luck. I've found a few but they look like every other porch swing
people sell. I have been drawing up some but I'm just not able to draw
what I would like to build. And I've been working on it daily for the
last couple of weeks. My plans are maybe to make outdoor furniture
(among other things)on the Shopbot to sell. I'm wondering if anyone
else has done or is doing this if they would share their drawings? I am
willing to pay for them. And also any other ideas or advice is very
much appreciated. I'm also trying to come up with some nice signs to
sell as well. I have Partwizard to work with so v-carving is limited to
11 fonts. I'm looking at Partworks but it will be down the road
sometime. I think I have the equivalent to writers block where I
can't get any ideas going. Maybe I just need a kick in the butt and get
with it. And anyway, if your still reading, thanks for listening, and
sorry for this being so long, guess I just needed to vent a little.

myxpykalix
03-31-2009, 04:45 AM
Although they are a common thing adirondak chairs are simple to make. You could also offer the added value of personalization to your product. I think i have several chair plans I could send if you want, send me an email.

http://www.adirondackchairs.com/

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/35882.html?1226981327

http://www.shopbottools.com/LabFiles/adirondack.htm

joe
03-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Wayne,

Good to see you posting again.

I can full well understand your frustration and concern for your parents. Armed with a CNC you can lead the way to more security and have fun doing it.

You distinct advantage is the equipment. But how do you make it pay? Your market is close by and you should start there. I'd suggest you survey local businesses such as cabinet shops and wood working businesses to see if you can assist them. How about RV centers, local Zoo, and general commercial businesses, like Lawyers, Doctors, Accountants, etc. A few letters and decorative panels given to the local sign shops will help. But most important is to find out where you can pitch in and help local shops. This is only a start to help you build your own business and identity.

To get started you need business cards, and lots of samples of your work. You may already have these but most folks cary businss cards around in their pocket. Give them out to everyone and you'll get business. It's all out there and waiting just for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PS: If you need a good decorative panel shape, let me know and I'll send a DXF.

zeykr
03-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Wayne,
I dropped you an email just now. Let me know if you don't get it for some reason.

harryball
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't know your exact status so if this doesn't apply don't worry about it.

I'll post here on the estore side of things. A GREAT way to get started and take CC payments via Google or PayPal is to sign up for a free eStore at Mercantec.com With their Express product you can add items easily and put up an express store. I don't use this option, I prefer to work through my own website using mercantec, but here is an example express store here, http://services.mercantec.com/Merchant/?m=5658

It is an extremely simple online store but it is also extremely simple to setup and use. This is a great option even if you only take local sales. You can show your product and have a way for people to pay using your Google or PayPal account.

Did I mention it's free?

/RB

wmcghee
03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys for the replies and ideas. Thanks for the links Jack.

Joe, your right about the equipment being my advantage. I have talked with the tourism director about making them a new sign as their one they have now is no longer even readable. He was very nice and told me to draw up what I had in mind and give him a price and he would bring it before the council. But he said the budget is very limited and talked like 500.00 would be a stretch in price for them.

As far as other sign shops I think the closest one is about 40 miles from me, and they seem to be just a shoestring budget type place, maybe part time. As far as cabinet shops go they are non existent close by. And on the few sets of kitchen cabinets I built I found out people around here seems like they want price, and not concerned about quality. They mostly go to the box stores and buy off the shelf. There probably is a small market for custom cabinets here, I don't think the money would be there.

Where I live is an old coal where since mining has stopped back in the 70s or whenever nothing has replaced the lost jobs. I drive about 130 miles a day round trip to work in, there is just nothing at all around here. I know, it takes a real knucklehead to drive that far, but now is not a good time for me to move.

Thanks again for the ideas.

wmcghee
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the link Robert. I do have a website where I can accept CC's and Paypal. The place I use is expensive (Zoovy.com)but it has alot of features and alot of time savers when it comes to putting items on different sites to sell. About all my site does now is pay for its own upkeep. I really need to get it optimized to where the search engines will rate it higher.

chiloquinruss
03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Wayne, I just attended a ShopBot camp at Because We Can in Oakland CA. They are primarily designers and then wood workers. Take a look at their site it is listed under ShopBot Camps. What I'm suggesting it to take what you dad has already done (made a working swing) and the using the Bot to make it 'designer different' by adding in all the swirls, holes, shapes, contours, etc,. Could be the same ol' porch swing might look a lot different with a Botters touch. Good Luck. Russ

cnc_works
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
My two bits...figure out what will sell first, then how to build it. In other words, do your market research on the kinds of things that will actually sell in your area as opposed to building something and then trying to market that item. If you are lucky they can turn out the same but for the most part success lies in being able to sell what you make.

Good luck

Donn

ky_trikes
03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Wayne,

I would suggest that you start by contacting SCORE:
http://www.score.org/index.html
You can have an idea for the best product in the world, but if you don't have a plan, your business will most likely fail. SCORE services are free, and the counselor will not sugar-coat anything. You will get good solid business advice. Best wishes!

gene
04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Kevin
Thank you for the link to SCORE. Everyone who has a buisness or is thinking of starting one needs to study this site. Seldom do you find this type info so readily available complete with helpers. Thanks Again...