PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades?

GlenP
02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Is there any large changes in sb3 software upgrades? I am still using the version that came with the machine last October (3.5.3 I think). I realize to keep up to date but are there any real large performance or control advantages in the updates.
Thanks in advance,
Glen

knight_toolworks
02-14-2008, 12:43 AM
I think thats the newest version. I have 3.4 and noticed no real difference going to 3.5 well I had problems with 3.5 and have gone back. some new features between them but the machine runs the same from what I could tell.

john_l
02-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Good question, I wondered the same. "If it aint broke..."

Brady Watson
02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
RECENT VERSION RELEASE NOTES (Full History in Readme File in software)

Version 3.5.5
-Updated native G-code reader and G-code Converter (old converter installed as: UX-GCODE_previous.EXE)
-Automated ShopBot identification and port finding routines.
-Support for new Version 201 ShopBot Controller Card. Drivers may be installed during software install. Also available under C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Drivers.

VERSION 3.5.4
-Zeroing routines modified to set Table Base Coordinates automatically.
-New Version "Copy Machine" Tool. Should be faster and more robust.
-New Version "Surfacer" Tool.
-New Spindle RPM Control Tool (for optional VFD Spindle Speed Controller; available soon from ShopBot).
-Zeroing routine will now optionally zero 4th (A) axis if present.
-New buttons to "Edit Current File"; "Re-run Current File".
-New feature in [VU] adds capability for extremely slow speeds (see Command Reference).
-New parameter in [VR] allows adjusting ramp rate in KeyPad for ShopBotters who want to accelerate faster (see Command Reference).
-New parameter in [VD] allows setting KeyPad closure to automatically turn off outputs (see Command Reference).
-New Settings file folder structure. Should be easier to use.
-New system available under Help for a customer to ZIP and send diagnostic files to ShopBot Support.
-The automatic "Find ShopBot" should get the right connection on most computers.
-New "Speed Test" utility that is more accurate in determining communication speed.
-Buffer-Underflow (communications chokes) now reported in Problem.log.
-New firmware reports outboard serial numbers.
-Several small bugs in G-code reading fixed.
-Reads Unix/Linux/Mac file types (previously a problem with carriage-return/line-feed).
-Software smoothing for arcs upgrade.

VERSION 3.5.3
-Fixes 3D bug (seen in some V-carving and sometimes in stops in 3D files)
-Fixes occasional issue with long shallow diagonal

VERSION 3.5.2
-Updates the Setup Virtual Tool for PRS's

VERSION 3.5.1 vs 3.4.x
-Smoother diagonals, arcs, and circles [NEW SMOOTHING STRATEGY]
-Supports higher step rates (thus allows higher speeds with hi-resolution gearing or microstepping)
-Supports PRSstandard and PRSalpha Tools (including Normally-Closed Proximity Switches; New Parameters in [VN] and New XYzero program installed)
-Supports PRTstandard Version4 Boards (with Geckodrives) and later
-Configurable/remembered Window sizing (allows better control and useful variations of screen layout)
-New [MD] Command for moving a designated Distance and Direction
-New [SI] Command provide a scratch pad for direct entry of several commands.
-Simultaneous G-code or ShopBot Code in files (supports same commands as G-code converter; added functionality for follow)
-More responsive keypad (asymetric ramping for more control; slow up-ramp, fast Stop; threshold for fast Stop in [VR])
-Can now call various Zeroing Commands from KeyPad mode (requires an ENTER to confirm)
-In KeyPad mode, when using 'Fixed Distance' to go a defined short distance a direct window for changing the distance is now available.
-% Part File Completed readout added to status line
-Added Extruder Virtual Tool and Utilities Virtual Tool
-Allows faster probing/digitizing
-Added feature to automatically identify ShopBot Port connection
-Diagnostic tool for testing the efficiency/bandwith of USB connection (see [UT;SpeedTest])
-Updated PartWizard Posts automatically installed (if PW folder not found, installed to C:\SbParts\PartWizardPosts)
-Supports alpha & V4g Torch Height
-Updated Typesetter, Fluter, Surfacer, and Indexer Virtual Tools to include SO commands to turn router or spindle on and off
-New Programming Command in Part File Language: MESSAGEBOX (see new Programming Handbook installed to C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Help\ProgHand.pdf)
-Enhanced Programming Command in Part File Language: SHELL now includes both ASYNC and SYNC start options (see new Programming Handbook)
-Virtual Tool calls from software now support passing command line as parameter (see Programming Handbook)
-Update to vb6 example files in Developer tools folder
-User Variable Max Number to 1000

You can access the latest SB3 version history via: http://www.shopbottools.com/SBCSupdatenotes.htm

-B

br928
02-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I always try to keep my SB3 software up to date. In some applications I have to set the Z plunge rate to the minimum .05"/sec. I have found a problem in both 3.5.4 and 3.5.5 trying to use this plunge rate. I had to fall back to 3.5.3 to get reliable results. SB is aware of the problem and hopefully will be fixed in the next release. There is a lot of improvements in latest versions and I think it pays to keep up with the latest revs.

ron_moorehead
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Any idea what the new 201 ShopBot Controller Card does over the older version?

Brady Watson
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
As I understand it, it's a bit faster and has some behind the scenes stuff that will open up some more features in the future. You're not missing anything, if that's what you are thinking.

-B

3imoh
02-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I am curious what other future features might be there...I was told they were just replacing the 3rd party serial to usb converter with a custom component.

-Howie