PDA

View Full Version : Probe Question

harve
02-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I bought a probe with my bot, but only today found a need for it. I am making a chair seat. I secured the seat to the table, set Z to .5 (piece is 1" thick). I started the probe proces to do a 2 d probe. (I just need the outline, not the actual seat top.) The initial Y movement went fine, but the second time the probe met the wood, it just drug across the top of the work piece. I stopped it, restarted from scratch and it probed the entire piece. I tried it again, to try to figure out what I did wrong the first time, it did the same thing, hit one Y point, then the next just drug across the top of the piece again. But on a follow up trial, it worked again. Suggestions as to what I am missing?

Also, I set the output file to be a .sbp. How do I manipulate that file? Right now it looks like I can just use the file to cut as is, i.e. no way to select the tool to cut the file, no way to set feed rate depth of cut. (Without using the Shopbot editor, that is.) Should I have saved it as another file format instead?

bill.young
02-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Hey Mike,

Those sorts of intermittent problems can be tricky to track down, but it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong on your end. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure that you have the newest ShopBot software installed. Also check for any electrical connection problems. If it isn't one of those, I'd suggest contacting ShopBot Support...that's what they're there for.

And just as you suspect, the sbp option is really just for direct cutting...probe the part, put in a bit, then cut a copy. One of the dxf options is what you want if you want to take the file into another program and manipulate it... probably the dxf polyline is most useful for 2d probing. You can read up a little on selecting output file formats if you click the help button on the Copy Machine.

Hope this helps,
Bill

harve
02-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks Bill. I have the SB3 software, to my knowledge that is the latest. As far as electrical problems, there doesn't seem to be a short or loose wire, the plug connects smoothly when I plugged it in and if I move the wires around, it does not to lose power. The light on the probe blinks as it should when you break the contact. The odd thing is that it does it on the second Y step if it is going to do it at all.

I looked through the help file while trying to figure out my probing issue. As soon as you mentioned the help section, a huge light bulb came on. I remembered seeing the section of the three different output options and skipping over it. I will read that section and give Shopbot a call about the intermittent probe issue. Thanks again for your response.

tbredin
02-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Mike,
I'm new to shopbotting and recently spent a few days trying to get the probe to work. After several calls to shopbot the last guy I talked to asked what software I had, which is 3.5.5. He said theres a defect in that software that won't allow the probe to function properly. He directed me to download 3.5.6beta off the website and it should work fine. I haven't got around to seeing if that fixes my problem yet.

thewoodcrafter
02-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Todd,
I recent probed a 2D item just fine with 3.5.5

harve
02-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks, I have not been to the shop to even call ShopBot to discuss this issue. I will download the software to my flash drive. If my problem persists I will install it. I have always feared beta versions thanks to Microsoft. They have a knack for releasing things and making life even more complicated.