PDA

View Full Version : Best way to hold solid wood to my spoliboard.

knight_toolworks
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I hope to get his job cutting out these 7" block like pieces out of 8/4 beech. the wood will vary in width of course and I don't have a practical way to flatten one side. Not that it is really needed. I found vacuum sucks with beech anyway. I am debating on how to hold it down for fast on and off. I plan on laying the wood out as many piece on my table at once and zero on each corner.
I would put a piece of ply or melemine down for my vac to hold then attach to that with screws or 2.5" finish nails.
myself I like using nails for such things as there is no pre drilling and you can remove the boards when the machine is in the way and running.
I would have to buy the nail gun but it is not a big expensive and this job would pay for it.
any reason or other idea's? Plus if you hit a nail it is not kiss the bit goodbye.

beacon14
01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
That's a good solution for a limited run like that where you have more than a few but not enough (hundreds) to make a quick-clamping or custom jigging system worth the effort.

jseiler
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Not sure this would work, but here's a discussion of raptor plastic nails.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/9500.html?1129383039

knight_toolworks
01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I figure 300 bf of wood about 3 tables worth. since the width would vary I could not come up with a practical mechanical clamp idea. since I will zero on each board I should be able to leave each end free for the nails.

beacon14
01-14-2008, 09:55 AM
As long as you can get enough nails, close enough together, to keep the workpiece from moving/vibrating while cutting.