PDA

View Full Version : First door need suggestions

brian
02-07-2007, 12:18 PM
I've been asked to make a front door.
What,s the best north American wood for doing a carved door.Is edge grain better?
Any suggestions on what bits are better than others.

patricktoomey
02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Brian, I like Mahogany for carved doors. It cuts very easily with just about any kind of bit. There will be some hand finishing as with carving any wood but I think the results are very nice.

bleeth
02-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Brian: Although Patricks reply is for a South American wood rather than North as you requested his reply is accurate for carving purposes. Since the only North American woods that are appropriate for door use are conifer based, such as Ponderosa Pine, Doug Fir, etc. and the harder North American woods such as Maple and Cherry are not suitable for exterior use, go with Mahogany. That being said, if you are absolutely required to use a North American wood, then VG Fir, VG Western Hemlock, or VG Western Cedar are your best choices. If you happen to be in the South than Cypress will also make a good choice for longevity and minimal shape changing. The issue will be how much hand sanding you have to do after machine carving. The least work will be in Mahogany.

harryball
02-08-2007, 07:47 PM
White oak is suitable for outside. I've seen a few white oak doors but understand the wood is a bear to work with.

Red oak does ok for working but has open pores. If you use it outside it must be sealed very well. I use a good deal of red oak, mostly interior, and it works and carves "ok". Expect some sanding and look for clear wood, the fewer knots the better.

I saw a hickory door once, absolutely beautiful. No information on how it works but I make pens out of hickory and it turns well.

Robert

patricktoomey
02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Whoops, I missed the North American part of the request.

cabindoors
02-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Brian,

90% of our entry doors are made of alder. It is an excellent carving and weather resistant wood. In my opinion it's beauty is unsurpassed for US woods. Expect to pay $3.65 BF.

Tom

normand
02-09-2007, 06:02 AM
Also soft wood (pine cedar ...) has better insulating value than hard wood.

thecustomsignshop
02-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Would maybe a MAS expoxy finish over the door help duability if the customer wants Oak or other selected NA hardwoods?

We us it on signs all the time, works well.

tomasz
02-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Jim,
I don't know about epoxy, but I bet my money on "Sikkens" cetol used on log cabins and siding.

brian
02-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Tom
I live on the west coast and am very familiar with alder.It grows like a weed on my property.I have it on some of my floors.It would have been the last wood I would have thought of.
I have found it to one of the fastest rotting woods(next to hemlock) we have,compared to fir or cedar.I do love to work with this wood becuse it is local and resonably priced.I'm sure with the right protection it would stand up well.
I've tried old growth cedar,but you have to keep a consistent tight grain pattern or detail and sharp edges are hard to maintain.I've yet to try edge grain fir'but I've heard it has the same problem as cedar.
Pine I haven't tried.

Thanks for the info
Brian

applik
02-10-2007, 11:35 PM
We've done large slabs made from planked pine and it carves beautifully. You can't beat the price of pine for doing test carving for patterns. Haven't really found any wood we don't like to carve yet!
Shari