View Full Version : CNC Bits

stockbub
02-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Where does everyone order their bits from and what are most common sizes? My botr will be here next week and from what I hear, I will break a bit or two. I want to go ahead and have some replacements so I do not have any down time. I think my bot is going to ship Friday (please please please). I was suppose to get it on Feb. 3 , 2006. Feel like a 4 year old christmas eve, just waiting for santa to arrive.

garyb
02-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Martin, I would say Onsrud is the top of the line but then I'm bias being an Onrud dealer.

I would suggest that you come to Wayne Locke's camp next weekend in
Austin, not only will you learn alot about your Shopbot and its use's but on Friday, Wayne has the local Onsrud rep doing a presentation on cutters and chip loads which will be very valuable to you.

You could also order a starter pack of bits from Shopbot. Do a search here on the forum and you will also find a host of other supplies and recomendations.

stebaker
02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
funny thing with Onsrud, they sent thier catologue to me here in the UK England, but when I tried to order bits, they said they did not supply out side the US. Given the weakness of the dollar, making US made equipment look cheap, I feel they are missing a great oppotunity. Stephen

myxpykalix
02-15-2007, 06:34 PM
if you have a friend in the US let them buy them and send to you.

elcruisr
02-16-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm thinking any Onsrud dealer will ship to you just maybe not Onsrud themselves.

If you make a big order from a dealer don't be afraid to ask for a discount!

garyb
02-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Stephen, Eric is right, Onsrud does not sell direct to the public.
If you would like Onsrud cutters and you don't have a dealer then contact me (email in profile) I will ship to you.

hindocarina
02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Has anyone used these insert cutters:
http://www.hersaf.com/shop/index.php/action/category/id/7/subid/11/
Please elaborate on feedrate for the single flute cutters, tool life, etc.

Thanks,

Charlie

garyb
02-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Have used for their large V cutters and their 1875 for surfacing for a number of years, they work well and their service is good.
If you use a spindle you will like the fact of the threaded shanks especially with the large size cutters when it comes to using the bottom collet wrench