PDA

View Full Version : Gun Case.........

mitchjr
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I needed to mak a gun case to hold one pistol. I saw a photo here about a year ago. I cant find it now. Does anyone have any ideas or pics that tey did. I want to make a small case that would hold the pistol and bullets and the clip.

Thanks

srwtlc
09-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Mitch, that sounds like it may have been one of mine.

coach
09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Scott, I really like that. How did you get the pistols to fit so well? What software did you use? I would like to copy your idea.
David

john_l
09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Scott, That's cool.

dlcw
09-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I love these cases Scott!! Great job.

I've got several handguns and this gives me an incentive to make a display case, like what you've done, to display some of my favorites (like my WWII .45). I've also got an M1 Garand and M1 Carbine that I had a gunsmith find for me and refurbish. It turns out they both went ashore in Normandy in June 1944. I want to build a display case for them also. Yes, I am a curios and relics collector. You have given me the inspiration. Thank you!

Don
www.diamondlakewoodworks.com (http://www.diamondlakewoodworks.com)

srwtlc
09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys,

I use a simple scrap wood scribe to trace the outline of the gun, scan the outline into CorelDraw and manually outline it with the bezier tool and node edit it to fit. Aspire to make the toolpaths (back then it was VectorCam). The Glock box was done before Aspire and all the cool wildlife reliefs were available otherwise I'd have used some kind of 3D scene on the cover. The 1851 Colt is hanging in some PA lawyer office (I think).

The locks are cut from both sides and then plugged with matching wood on the back/bottom.

The hinges are quadrant hinges (cigar box hinges) that are mortised with the Bot.

Here's a picture of the scribe and using it. Real high tech! ;-)

myxpykalix
09-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Scott,
I like your scribe. If i were you i would patent that idea and design. Do you think you could make me one of those? lol

Also how did you cut the hole/slot for your lock to engage? Your cases are beautiful.

rb99
09-03-2009, 04:59 AM
It is strange to see hand guns because in Canada you really are not allowed to have them. Although it can be done, it is difficult to legally own a hand gun.

RIB

harryball
09-03-2009, 01:14 PM
BEAU TI FUL!

I want one! It would be a great place for collectable pistols.

/RB

srwtlc
09-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey Jack, I think I might be able to find one more piece of scrap that will work. What flavor do you want? ;-)

The lock area is cut from both sides of the bottom piece to provide the offset area for the lock paddle and then a matching plug is glued in the hole on the bottom side.

Richard, if the powers that be had their way, only the criminals would have guns!

Scott

Forum Admin
09-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Let's keep this topic on the gun case, not gun control.

dlcw
09-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Thank you Forum Administrator!!!

This is a forum for discussing our craft and the incredible projects people come up with, not for discussing gun control.

Don

khaos
09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey Scott, I likem as they are. I wonder if a 3D element in the cover might detract. The outline seems to be understated and very classy. I guess the wood is so nice it stands on its own in this case.

maybe ... A slight relief of an agency/mil symbol /if/ the owner is a member.

But I think it is beautiful as is.

myxpykalix
09-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Would there be any advantage to using "flocking" in the compartment where the gun goes?

And for petes sake please no one mention healthcare or we all will be banned! lol

srwtlc
09-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I do another box, more of a presentation case for law enforcement departments, for someone else and they laser engrave the department badge logo on the cover along with the name of the recipient on the inside and they look real nice. They also laser cut felt for the bottoms. We talked about the flocking thing, but it's a bit messy and not very durable (wears off easy).

sawkerf
09-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Awesome work Scott. I have recently aquired a couple of handguns and I am planning on making a few of these for myself and perhaps give some as Christmas gifts too.Thanks for sharing. BTW Fast Cap has a neat tracing marker. It has a long skinny neck to get into those tight spots.

mitch_prest
09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
the other way to make the shape would be using a 3d model of the gun you are making the case for.. depending on your software you could do a boolean subtract of the 3d model from a block ... the actual gun should then fit exactly .. I know I have a colt 45 if someone wants to have a go at it.. I might have a couple of others.. would have to look..

m

phd1658
09-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Mitch, If you have a scale relief of a Colt 45, I would love to take a crack at it, and any others as well! Thanks!

mitch_prest
09-13-2009, 07:57 PM
you have mail..

bam_bam
09-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Mitch,
I would love to have a copy of the scale of the colt if you could send it to me. I have a friend in the police in Nashville and was going to make him a case but did not want to ask him to draw his gun on a piece of paper as I thought he might figure it out. He is due to retire soon and I was going to make it as a present for him.
Thanks,
Randy

myxpykalix
09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
you looking for something like this?

bam_bam
09-21-2009, 11:15 PM
jack and Mitch,
Thanks for the replies Both of the diagrams will help. Thanks for all of your help and I know my friend is just going to love it!!!
R.