PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Dados?

baltic_birch
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Hello,

I use a 1/4 inch bit to cut cab panels 3/4" Baltic Birch and have been dadoing them on a router table.

I'd like to now start dadoing them on the bot.

What is the fastest/best method with a 1/4 bit?

Dados have to be 3/4" wide and 1/4" deep and have to be done with the 1/4" bit.

Machine along vector?
Area clear/pocketing?
Raster or??

Thanks!!!!

Andrew

harryball
04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I have created dados with an area clear by making the box slightly longer than the material to get rid of the rounded corners. I set my overlap to 50% since I don't care about finish quality. I have used raster and offset. With offset you get the perimeter cut first and the cut finish may be cleaner, but both work.

I have used machine along vector only when the bit is the size of the desired dado.

If you can get a 3/8" bit it goes a little faster since you cut more in one pass and run a little faster.

Robert

paco
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I have used pocket so far for ease of programming but I would think that MAV would be faster in some case... but there would be more editing before the milling process.

You will soon realize that raster will become a problem in pocketing dados... unless all dados are in the same axes (X or Y)... go with offset but tweak the stepover for efficiency (if you can; some CAM do not go over 40%; either they wont or they do not do a good job... leftover islands).

Make sure you tweak the width of the dados to the material thickness.

cookie
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Andrew

I use area clear function in part wizard and cut the longest length of the dado or rabbet. I use a 3/8 down spiral bit to cut with and I have an air drill to drill my 5mm shelf pin holes. I have a prt alpha machine.

Bruce

gene
04-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Bruce
How long does it take to process a pannell with the air drill attachment ? Is it worth it to you?
How much volumn do you do on the bot?
THANKS

stockbub
04-12-2007, 07:54 AM
I use area clear and then raster. Grant from SB was down looking at my machicne and gave me that advice.

cookie
04-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Gene

I am a one person shop. Cutting and drilling for shelf pins on a average sheet for cabinets is about 15 minutes. It nice with the drilling head because I can use a larger router bit,less passes, faster speeds and less bit breakage. I use a 5mm bit in the drill head. With the drill head you are limited a little on the left side because of the offset but I haven't had any problems getting it to do what I want. Good attachement.

Bruce

baltic_birch
04-12-2007, 01:47 PM
thanks guys, truly appreciated!

Andrew

bleeth
04-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Hey Bruce: For cab sides (6 bases per sheet for a seperate toe kick design) thats 2.5 minutes per side-good numbers. Whats your model and normal cutting speed?

cookie
04-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Dave

I have a prt alpha 96 with a 2.25 HSD spindle. I generally cut a 5 ips jog at 10 ips.I tried faster jog speeds but if I hit the stop button it jumped off the rails. what a bummer. Drilling takes 3 to 4 seconds per hole. Times do a sheet is 15 to 20 minutes per sheet and does not include removing parts, cleaning table and putting on a new sheet.

Bruce

bleeth
04-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks Bruce

fleinbach
04-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Bruce,

You can very easily fix your X car so it will never jump off the rails again for any reason. Here is the link to installing my fix. http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/28/8189.html