PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Of Light

matt_r
04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Those of you who have gone through Cub Scouts or have had kids that have, will recognize this award. Our Pack has a tradition of giving the boys who earned their Arrow of Light award a plaque. One of the dad's, who has had several sons in the program has been making them for years. His was a simple design, a pine cut out of the yellow arrow-sunray symbol, with two hooks that held a BSA arrow. They moved away this past year, and I volunteered to take that task over. Of coarse, having a ShopBot meant that I personally felt that I had to 'kick it up a notch'.

This is what I came up with. It's identical to the badge worn on the uniform, except it is taller in the lower portion to allow for the brass name plaque. Its made from 3/4 MDF. I start by painting the blank yellow in the center, and blue around the outsides. Once dry, I cover it in sign mask, and pocket out around the arrow. I go back with some olive colored paint and paint the pocket. The hooks are made from a piece of alder or whatever I have lying around the shop.

The boys love these. One boy was so proud, he had his parents hang it on the wall in the front room.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'd be happy to pass along the vector art/and or programs if you wish. Just click on my name, and send me an e-mail request.

-Matt

handh
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Matt,

Were do you purchase the sign mask, I am new to making of signs and would like to purchase it. Do painting stores sell it. What brand if any do you use.

matt_r
04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Jeff,
Stores don't sell it. The variety I use is called Gerber Mask 2. It is made specifically for this purpose, and can usually be purchased from your local commercial sign supply house. There is a Gerber Mask 1, but the tack is not as high, and so I like the Gerber Mask 2 better.

-Matt

richards
04-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Matt,
That's good looking work. Do you also engrave the brass name plaque or have that done elsewhere?

-Mike

matt_r
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks Mike. We have a trophy shop do the brass plaques. With my PRT, I've never felt I've had the resolution to do small height/depth lettering and have it look good. I have not tried it yet with my upgraded control box.
However, I have thought about doing some sort of engraved name plaque with slightly larger letters. I'll have to make a sample and run it by the Cub Committee.

ed_lang
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Matt,
They look great! I am sure your plaques will make a lot of boys very proud of their hard work to earn the AOL.

Ed