PDA

View Full Version : Toolpathing problems!!

myxpykalix
03-06-2007, 03:53 AM
If you look at the representation i have here, here is what i'm trying to do.
The grey sections i want to cut out entirely from the piece leaving the white sections.
Then i want to stairstep the colored sections
blue leave at 3/4" height
red cut down 1/4" depth to 1/2" thickness
orange cut down 1/2" depth to 1/4" thickness
The orange and white sections will be at same depth levels of 1/4" thick.
The problem is i'm getting "open vectors" error message. I went and extended the lines past the oval, clipping the vectors making sure they intersected.
Then when i tried to select the vectors (illustrated by pink lines)to do an "area clear" to cut that out completely I get another error message, something like "group to area clear contained no contours"
My thought was that the top of the contour was not closed as the outside oval (in green) is a different toolpath. All i did there was have it use a vbit and go down .10 to show the outline of the oval. I then tried to connect the 2 (pink) vectors with a polyline just below the arc of the oval and that looked bad.
I tried the same thing by trying to connect them with an arc and that looked like it made rounded tops like flower petals, thats not what i want.

So if anyone can advise me on a machining strategy and how i can cut those sections out and/or join the vectors so i can cut that contour out I would appreciate the advice.
THANKS!

bleeth
03-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Jack: You need to clip the arc at each intersection (keeping original box checked) and do the same with the straight lines at the bottom of each shape, and then group all four sides of the shape. You will now have a defined group of vectors to machine.

gwilson
03-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Jack check your email
Gerald