PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy high detailed 3d scans

dray
03-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Im visiting my family again in Northern Ca and I am looking to buy some highly detailed 3d scans or reliefs to cut for family.

Not for resale not for selling of any sort and Ill sign anything anyone needs to protect their art or scans, Im just looking to do some really nice carvings for family. Ive been to all the 3d vector websites, bought a few and have been dissapointed with the lack of detail.

Ill sign a form or anything any of you want to attest to the fact that I will not trade, sell or give these files to anyone, I just enjoy the looks on family members faces when I bring them nice carvings..

If anyones interested email me or PM me or just post on this thread.

dray
03-20-2008, 05:21 PM
p.s. Ill also send high quality pictures back to seller of these HQ files cut in a variety of uncommon hardwoods

3dmodelclub
04-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Hi Danny,

What kind of model are you looking for?

Have you had a look at www.3dmodelclub.com (http://www.3dmodelclub.com) yet?

Tom.

khaos
04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Tom, Those look exceptionaly well done! Nice addition to the resource pile.

Joe.

dray
04-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Whoa Tom thanks thats exactly the level of detail I have been looking for!

I bought some low quality models from vector art 3d they just dont have enough detail for my tastes.

dubliner
04-16-2008, 07:30 PM
They seem very detailed. Are they in wax? Has any one tried some in wood or HDU yet? This is probably a dumb question, but whats the difference between Vectorclip, VectorArt & these?

tmerrill
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
The level of detail you get not only depends on the model but the bit you use and the size of the finished product. I doubt you will get that detail level with a 1/8" bit and if you go to a smaller diameter bit, the cutting time will increase and the depth of cut will decrease. Some of the models look like they will need a long bit to get the depth required to equal the advertised detail.

andyb
04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
I downloaded and checked out the Free 3D models. They look good as long as you keep the original Z depth for the model. But, as soon as you lowering it, you lose a lot of detail. The golden retriever has a Z depth of 25 inches. Using something like Cut3D or PartWorks3D, if you try to change the Z depth to 2 inches you loose all the detail.

IMHO to make these works you'll need Artcam or another package to edit them and keep the detail.

Andy B.

3dmodelclub
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Andy,

I thought there must be something wrong with the way your software interprets the STL files. I had a look at the file however and you are right, it seems the file is at the wrong height. I will see if I can rescan the model or replace it with another free model.

But in general I find it helps to have a full blown CAD/CAM program like ArtCAM to make changes to the models. I am also using Carvewright's designer to convert the files to patterns and I find the limitations of the program doesn't always allow me to do what I need.

Thanks

Tom.

dubliner
04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Yes Andy, I downloaded it too & noticed a steep wall, 25" - thats the height of my real dog :-), well hopefully it works out - I'd love to see some done in wood or foam.

3dmodelclub
04-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi All,

I replaced the golden retriever with another model, a floral relief, please check that out.

Tom.

3dmodelclub
04-17-2008, 12:49 AM
These are carved with soft clay. It's a great material and easy to make changes if necessary.

It also works very well with our laser scanner which doesn't absorb or reflect the light too much.

Tom.

dray
04-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I just purchased a marlin scene, just waiting for the file. Ill update as I cut. Planning to cut into manzanita.

http://www.3dmodelclub.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=288 &option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

To be honest I thought that Brady Watson would take the initiative and start a website, he has the best scanner around..

The clay makes perfect sense ,you can scan cut, edit, rescan.

knight_toolworks
04-17-2008, 02:52 PM
how long after buying till I get my file? I ordered this morning and got a notice the order was complete.

dray
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Still waiting on mine

Brady Watson
04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Danny,
Thanks for the compliments. I was planning on making a site with reliefs for sale from scanned data, but the problem lies with copyrighted items and a source for copyright-free artwork. That's the real difficulty, and Tom seems to have access to a good sculptor. I was hoping that Tom's site would have actual pictures of the relief files that were for purchase, rather than the wax/clay models themselves, since there can be a large disparity between the physical object and the resulting data, depending on laser hardware.

I really don't want to be another seller of models to the masses. Most of my clients need to have specific models scanned in high resolution & that's were my services really come into play. We do parts as small as coins & jewelry and large parts such as furniture and automotive parts.

-B

bleeth
04-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Tom is in Hong Kong. While you are up and about all day they are at home sleeping. For you Danny I think the difference is 17 Hrs across the date line.

3dmodelclub
04-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you for the orders and your patience. Although I can check emails etc 24 x 7 I don't have the ability to cleanup models, Please bear with us, the models ordered will be cleanup and uploaded tomorrow.

Thank you.

Tom.

3dmodelclub
04-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi Brady,

We decided against using the scanned images of the actual clay models for a number of reasons including but not limited to.

-The clay models do look rather nice.
-Scanned data do seem to lose that hand touch if you see what I mean.

But you are right in general scanned models do tend to look somewhat different from the actual clay models, as you lose the undercuts.

Anyway you can always request a preview of the relief if you want to make sure the end product meets your requirements.

Tom.

3dmodelclub
04-18-2008, 12:08 AM
We will be adding actual relief photos on all models. It will take us bit of time, just bear with us.

3dmodelclub
04-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Hi to all. All ordered models have been sent out. Please check your emails.

Tom.

3dmodelclub
04-18-2008, 03:14 AM
I am planning for something like this for all models.

http://www.3dmodelclub.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.view_ima ges&product_id=152&image_id=2&Itemid=93

These are screenshots from ArtCAM.

What do you think?

3dmodelclub
04-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Dear all,

If anyone wants any follow up or feedback from us about 3D Model Club and what we do and to avoid violating forum rules on this forum, you are most welcome to post any comments etc on our forums found here.

http://www.3dmodelclub.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=121

Thank you.

Tom.