PDA

View Full Version : Crying.........

daniel
07-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Alright guys I hope you can help.
My Machine is Broken.....First the 2.25 hp Makita router broke, then while trying to fit a bosch Router I neglected to loosen the "Ground" bolt before tightning the big bolt that closes the aluminum collar. This caused the aluminum collar to Crack!
I will call shopbot to see how much a new one is, I hope cheap because right now I'm not making money with the bot.

I'm hoping you guys can tell me whats wrong with the router.
1) It's about a year old, Hobby work not production work
2) The first sign of problems was that it would not turn on.
3) If I spun the collet and then flicked the power switch it would start.
4) That worked for about a day now the router does not work at all.

Is this something I can fix myself or does it require "Special Tools" to work on these routers?

Thanks guys.

danhamm
07-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Sounds like your brushes have given up,on most routers they are not to hard to change.
Also when changing them its a good idea to take a close look at your armature, check and see if
any copper has filled in the gap, if it has you
can clean it out..

paco
07-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi Daniel!

About the router mounting; have you consider contacting a local PRO welder man for TIG welding your part (after you knowledge the price of a new one)... is it really alluminium?! I suggest to consider alternatives; it's not the only way to hold a router body there...

Good luck with the router problem; I know what it is to be tight on money...

stevem
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
The 2.25 hp Makita router has a recall for a defective armature assembly. Mine was repaired under the recall when it was out of warranty by over a year. Call Makita directly and as about the recall. The defect will cause fluctuating speed when the router is warm, while preventing it from turning on once it’s turned off. When the router cools, you’ll be able to turn it on again until it warms up.

Brady Watson
07-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Actually....Welding the mount could be a bit tricky even for a pro. I believe that the mount is cast AL...and cast is difficult to weld, but not impossible. It is probably a LOT cheaper to just buy a new mount from Shopbot.

-Brady

daniel
07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks Guys,
My brother works in Maintance out at Cape Canveral, He's gonna try and get it welded for me out there. If not I will have to buy a new one. Thanks Steve, I'm gonna call Makita and see if it affects my router.

gerald_d
07-14-2005, 02:50 AM
Cape Canaveral should have Electron Beam Welding (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD:2004-43%2CGGLD:en&q=electron%2Bbeam%2Bwelding) (probably not in Maintenance) - that will do the trick. Probably a total overkill, but an amazing weld technology. I have hydraulic cylinder barrels butt welded together in Germany with this technology.

daniel
07-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Anyone have experince with JB weld?
I'm gonna buy a new one soon as I can, In the meantime I was considering JB weld.

Gerald, I don't know what they call the stuff over there, "JB Weld" is a brand name here for a two part epoxy stuff.

Thanks again guys

gerald_d
07-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Forget any form of epoxy for that. It is bad enough breaking a cutter on a job, but you really don't want to take a chance of a live router chasing you when the epoxy lets go!

As a temp. solution, I would consider some big hose-clamps. That is how the routers were held before the alu. bracket came along.

srwtlc
07-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Daniel,

How about doing the early PRT type of mount for the meantime? It appears to be a piece of 4" wide x 1.5" deep x 4.5" long aluminum channel with two hose clamps. It's held my PC in place for five years just fine. The only problem might be drilling some extra holes in the Z slide to mount it.

Scott

(I almost beat you Gerald)

hespj
07-14-2005, 02:31 PM
My ali collar is sitting in the workshop doing nothing. I fitted a different router. Shame I'm a few thousand miles away. But if you could wait a few days..........

daniel
07-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks Guys,
I'm going to order a new one tommorow, the just over a hundred bucks.

Thanks for you guys help, I think I have a temp solution now after Gerald and Scott made my brain go in a different direction.

I will still use the epoxy for now, but Gerald made a good point there. So after I epoxy it I will throw some hose clamps around it like Scotts suggestion.
Thanks Botters!