PDA

View Full Version : Annoying "Select User" Pop up window

evan
01-27-2005, 12:16 PM
I was doing a search so I made the mistake of logging in and now evey time I go to a new topic or anew thread I get a POP up Window asking me to select a User. It's VERY annoying... Anyone know how to get it to stop? I've been using the Forum for a couple of years off and on and I've never had this problem before.
Thank You,
Evan

gerald_d
01-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Evan, it is not caused by this Forum's software. Check your PC for spyware. I use the freeware Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/) from Lavasoft to remove spyware.

evan
01-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Gerald,
Thank you for the response and suggetion.
I've run three differant spyware removal tools (Ad-aware being one of them, Spybot and Spyware Blaster being the other two) and I'm still getting these highly annoying "Select User" pop ups. It's only happening on this forum,
that's why I'm so baffeled and frustrated.

merln
01-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Evan,
Microsoft just released in beta format their spyware software. It's free and can be downloaded from their website. It stopped a bunch of popups and my computer now runs faster.

simon
01-27-2005, 09:17 PM
FORUM layout....

Sorry to have piggybacked on what may be an inappropriate topic heading for this post, but I cannot seem to find the Start New Thread button anywhere on the forum. It should really be available on every page. Admin???

Where on earth has it got to?

srwtlc
01-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Evan, just a thought, try going to 'Tools|Internet Options' and on the 'General' tab choose to delete cookies and files in the temporary internet files section. You can get there by way of the control panel also.

gerald_d
01-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Evan, you might have other software on your PC that offers to "auto-fill-in" personal info when needed. (Google Toolbar is an example). You need to find out which software is asking that "Select a user" question - any other names on the edges of that pop-up window? If you are using Win98, you could do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what is the most recent software that is running.

You could also set up this Forum so that you stay logged in. Use the "Profile" button and check the
"Remember my username and password in a cookie" box. (Cross-posted with Scott. I think the lack of a cookie is triggering that auto-fill-in)

Simon, I am extremely glad that the "Start New Thread" button is not highly visible. Too many people barge in here and don't bother to read what has already been discussed. At minimum, people should look at the list of existing thread titles before starting a new one.

Having preached my sermon, look through the list of existing titles, and right at the bottom, after the last title, is the "Start New Thread" button. This is the most logical place to have it.

wayneo
01-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Speaking of annoying popups, yes I get the same "Select User" popup and have not figured out why or how to turn it off. It probably has something to do with how your browser is configured.

Another annoyance that I have to beef about (as many others have already stated) is that some topics seem to be sorted by date TOP-DOWN, while others seem to be sorted by date BOTTOM-UP. What gives??? Can't we all get on the same page? Everytime I select a thread to follow, I never know if it is top-down or bottom-up. I know it is not a big deal, but quite an annoyance to have to figure out which way we are going.....

I know, I know, just stand on my head and all will be joy!

evan
01-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Ok,thank you everyone for your help and comments. Gerald once again you were on the right track.
I found the problem. I use Mozilla and it was an auto fill in password manager situation. Some way or another I had multiple user names for this forum and it "wanted to know" which to use.
I've eliminated all of them, and now I've started over. I just have to pay more attention to which buttons I push.