View Full Version : ShopBot Training in Atlanta May 29-30

beacon14
05-01-2009, 09:51 AM
There have been more than a few requests to hold in-depth training sessions in a working shop, hosted by someone who uses a ShopBot to cut parts every day.

Announcing the first (of many I hope) training session to be held in my shop in the Atlanta area, on Friday May 29 and Saturday May 30, 2009. To get the ball rolling and get some feedback I'll be offering this first session at a substantial discount over what I think these classes are actually worth (and what I hope to be able to charge someday).

I'll be able to tailor the classes to a large degree to the desires of the attendees but the general format will consist of drawing and toolpathing projects using PartWorks 2D, and then cutting the projects on a PRTAlpha. I would expect to be able to draw, toolpath, and cut two to four projects each day. There will be an emphasis on working with solid wood and wood sheet materials but the experience should be useful to anyone who plans to use PartWorks 2D to create projects on a ShopBot.

For the first 2-day session I'll be hoping to attract 5 or 6 students at a cost of $200 per student for the 2 days. For anyone considering coming from out of town, there are reasonable accommodations just down the road, and we can arrange transportation so a rental car will not be needed.

Please post questions here or e-mail me at beacon14 at comcast dot net. Be advised that this is NOT an official ShopBot training class but a private venture and as such please do not call ShopBot for details.

BTW I didn't plan for this to be my 1000th post - it just worked out that way.

beacon14
05-19-2009, 03:13 AM
There is still some room for the class - let me know if you are interested.

bob_s
05-20-2009, 12:18 AM
David
I'm looking forward to it - I'm sure hoping it will cut my learning curve even though my primary interest is 3d work. It's the practical stuff that I'm after.
Bob

beacon14
05-21-2009, 09:03 AM
We have four students signed up so far - still room for one or two more.

sneakers
05-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Now that the training class is over I would like to thank David very much for his hard work in preparing for this class. I got so much information about using and programing my machine. What I learned has a practical application not textbook. I prefer to learn by doing and that is how the class went. If David does this training again I would recomend it to everyone. He really knows Shopbot.Thanks again David.

Gary

hastings
05-31-2009, 05:53 PM
My Buddy rolled into the shop just three days before this class so the timing couldn't have been better. If you're new or just getting started this class is the bees knees.

David is nothing less than a Shopbot maestro! He has a wealth of experience and expertise. This class must have saved me weeks of messing around on my own.

Thanks David.

bob_s
05-31-2009, 06:04 PM
David's class was great amount of very practical information in a wonderful 2 day presentation. As a new owner of a shopbot there is an awful lot that just doesn't gel until you see it in a working shop. I am very glad I took this class, what I learned will save me a lot of time and frustration over the next several months.
Thanks David for a great presentation.

jporter
06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Just to re-inforce what has been said already, David's class was really nice and instructional. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to cap off their training so far. Also, being with other like minded folks with experiences of their own to share is a real plus. All of this is in a small group with instant feedback to your questions. Thanks again for a great class, joe

beacon14
06-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Shucks, guys, I didn't pay you nearly enough to say such nice things about me. But I certainly appreciate the compliments and the feedback, I learned as much about teaching a class as my new friends learned about using the ShopBot. We had five students, which seems to be a good group size where everyone could have personal attention and we could keep the atmosphere informal.

I'll look at doing another class in late summer or fall. Send me an e-mail if you would like to be kept informed of upcoming classes.

edabney
06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Just to make it unanimous albeit a little later than everyone else (what can I say, I'm always the last to arrive and the last to leave :-), I also had a great time.
Being able to spend a couple of days with a small class in David's shop creating work files from scratch from beginning to final cuts on the Bot probably knocked 6 months off of my learning curve. This is in addition to picking up the real-world tips and techniques from someone that does the quality of work that David does (just incredible).
I would recommend this class to anyone that wants to take their work to the next level.

carlosgmarroquin
06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
David, Hi. I'm interested.

I live in Guatemala, CA (Central America, not California) ;)

But my sister lives in suwanee, GA, a little to the north from atlanta. How far are you located?

beacon14
06-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi Carlos, Suwannee is about 45 minutes away by car.

carlosgmarroquin
06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Great. I'll be wating for you posts and try to make plans around your training class