PDA

View Full Version : 3D scanner

phil_o
02-20-2009, 03:46 PM
This is really cool. $3K for a 3D scanner

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/24/postid/82061/view/topic/Default.aspx
https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecure.htm

mitchjr
02-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Phil.......

I am lucky enough to have this scanner and the 3d printer. The scanner is slick. There is a learning curve. As for the 3d printer, it is a matter of just opening the file and hitting print. In a matter of a few hours you have exactly what you designed.

br928
02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Has anyone used this scanner as input to build anything on a ShopBot? What kind of resolution can be expected? Better that a Picza? No doubt faster.

drodda
02-21-2009, 12:40 AM
The 3-D printer was far more interesting than the scanner from what I saw. Don't know the price tag on that one though.

-D

myxpykalix
02-21-2009, 03:47 AM
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

mitchjr
02-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Well since you mention the pixa, I have that at my school as well. The next engine scanner does a much faster job and the quality is better. The pixa is slow, but it does a good job. The next engine is new to us and we have not used it all that much, but for what we did scan, it is really cool. I think that the price on the 2 scanners are about the same and if you need to choose to spend $3000, spend it on the Next engine. As for the 3D printer, 30K yes that is 30 grand new. We got a demo model for about 13k. The pvc print material is $200 per cartridge and it can run 72 hours straight on a new one. That is a lot of printing. The support material lasts about 4 times that. We design using Solidworks, ArtCam, Vcarve Pro and MasterCam. Save the file as a,STL and hit Print.....It really is that quick and easy. The detail is exact when done. I mean EXACT. As for cutting on our shopbot, the files from the scanner are exact as well. We have 3 Techno Isel Mills and they cut the same quality as the Bot. We are in the process of setting up our indexer on "big blue". Our goal is to design turnings in solidworks and export to ArtCam Jewlsmith. Create the tool paths and cut it out on "big blue". My students do some amazing things. I cant thank this forum, James Booth and my 2 local supports Bill and Don enough for the years of support and help. I do not post many pic of our work for the simple reason that we need parent permission to post students names, and pics. If they are 18, I sometimes post it. Sorry....

zeykr
02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
The desktop model of the 3d printer (uprint) lists for 15K: http://www.dimensionprinting.com/default.aspx

Will create models 8"x6"x6"

guy_mathews
02-22-2009, 09:08 AM
We can scan 3D objects for you. Our laser scanning technology is some of the most reliable on the market today. We don't just scan objects. We make watertight .STL files that you can mill on your CNC machine without fear of holes. Holes can ruin a CNC spindle in a heartbeat.

We have been using our laser scanner technology for 3 years now and can now produce "scan to mill" files that are accurate to less than 1/32 of an inch. In fact, we were the first woodworking company in the world to purchase and use the Fastscan Laser system for the sole purpose of scanning and milling wood carvings, furniture parts and other industry related objects. On top of that, we have the ability to add "level of detail" using Virtual 3D Carving Technology. Other people are now doing it, but we perfected it!

Our fixed scanner is an LDI Surveyor 3500. It is capable of scanning to .00004 of an inch. File sizes are massive and you will need some real good software for manipulating the finished .STL file.

Our handheld unit gives me the ability to go anywhere. Scans are accurate without manipulation and solid from the scanner to less than 1/32 of an inch. What does "solid" mean. It means the file is free of holes and your spindle will not take a dive. With our handheld scanner we can create solid true 3 dimensional scans, not just relief carvings. If you have 4th or 5th axis machines, this is important to you. I can also tell you how to carve true 3D Objects using a 3 axis machine.

I can also scan an entire object at one time and have the file exported as one solid object ready to mill in as little as 10 minutes. I do not have to stitch together multiple scans to make a complete file.

Want to watch us scan your object? We can invite you to an Internet based collaboration platform, where you can sit in your office, and watch our scanner in action. All you need is an Internet connection and some free software that installs in minutes.

Simply email us a photo of the object you want scanned and we will quote it for you. Then ship us the item if you are happy with the quote and we will scan it while you watch on your computer! (Software is free and needs to be installed on your computer. Yes it is virus free!) We can also mill it for you as well. 1 piece or 1,000. The sky and your budget are the only limits.

If you are a woodworker using CNC in your shop, you know how hard it is to generate 3D Carving details for reproduction and replication. When you do generate them, often there are times that you have to hand-carve anyway. Even with the best software, it is often very hard to replicate an object with ornate carving details. With our scans, hand carving is virtually elimanated. The tools you use to finish your piece will determine how much hand work a piece will have. In addition to scanning your object, we can use our CAD software to recreate geometric profiles for moldings, corbels, columns and many other objects, and then, apply the .STL Laser Scan detail to the part. Upon completion of this process, we can add the needed containment fields and recommend cutting strategies that will minimize cycle time and maximize production for your machines should you decide to mill it yourself.

If you are an architect, not only can we recreate 3D architectual millwork for your company, we can mill it for you as well on one of our 3 CNC machines. We can also travel to your location and scan an object that either is too big to ship, or can not be removed from the building! In addition, the scanned file can be used by your firm in renderings to present to your client. This is especially useful when rendering for accuracy and historical preservation.

New Wave Woodworking is at the forefront of Laser Scanning and CNC Technology. We don't build the lasers and the CNC machines, we push them to new heights! We invite you to visit camheads.org to see a small portion of our work. Our new website will be launching shortly.

Basic scanning services start at $100.00 and up. Below is a basic scan of a 3~3/8 inch high plastic chess piece that I scanned with my hand held scanner for a member of the Camheads website.

In the meantime, check out our latest "Scan to Mill" job at CAMheads.org. A ceramic owl that got a new life as a maple owl!

The link below will take you to my User Profile at Camheads.
(You may need to register to view photos)

http://www.camheads.org/member.php?u=190

One final note, I also have a probe for my ShopBot. I have not used it in a long time, however, it is a good piece of equipment if you have time to wait. Accurate for most any woodworking projects, but, it does have limitations. We first used it to scan the plywood patterns that we use for furniture building. It was a long process. Now I just scan the pattern with my handneld laser, perfom a mesh-outline and generate a tool path on the newly saved DWG file. Takes less than five minutes. The probe while useful, would take anywhere from 30 minutes up to 24 hours depending on complexity. The probe is a couple hundred dollars and worth the money. The scanner is quite a few thousand and well worth the money if you use it like I do. If you are not planning on buying a laser or hiring someone to scan parts, you should consider taking a look at the probe. Small learning curve with decent results.

If you need more accurate results or a one time scan, and speed is of the utmost importance, send me an email. We let you see the finished results as we produce them. No smoke and mirrors, no sales pitch, just good old American work ethic and ingenuity. We are to woodworking, what Orange County is to Motorcycles!

If you are serious about learning more and possibly buying a handheld laser, email me, guymathews@newwavewoodworking.com (mailto:guymathews@newwavewoodworking.com)

I will answer any questions as best I can and put you in touch with the right people should you wish to buy a laser. They are expensive, so if you think that your company will see a profit within 3 years of purchase, then by all means email me. When you read all the different ways I use our scanner, you will realize the 3 years is actually a lot less when compared to time and payroll.