PDA

View Full Version : How do I Design in AutoCAD for the ShopBot?

jemelby
09-14-2007, 01:58 AM
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I use AutoCAD to prepare detailed plans of what I intend to build in the shop. This has worked well for conventional wood working, and I am assured that I will be able to apply these skills to use with a ShopBot.

I would like to know if there is anything to be aware of when designing for the SB. I have a pile of designs that I think would lend them selves to production on the shopbot. I also intend to get some more SB specific ideas worked out, and designed with ACAD. I have figured out about bit radius, and how that effects inside corners. That’s no different from the limitations I presently have when using pattern bits on a table router. What other less obvious pitfalls await me?

Do the files go right from DXF to the SB cut list software? Does it look at just one perspective, or will it know what to do with a three dimensional file? (Assuming only the software that ships with the SB, not any of the 3D stuff) Will the stock SB software be able to make sense out of a 3D DXF file and convert it to a 2.5D cut file?

I’d hate to waste my time designing stuff specifically to run on the SB, only to have to do it again because I missed some critical criteria or data point.

Once again, thank you for entertaining my questions as I think-out-loud about a future SB purchase.

bleeth
09-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Design in Auto-cad.
Import to Part-Wizard for tool pathing.
Keep the drawings simple or copy lines from cluttered drawings to another sheet before importing.
You would need a more expensive program to use 3-d. I am not sure about the latest release of Art-Cam but my version 7 imports DXF only up to version 2004.

henrik_o
09-14-2007, 07:57 AM
James,

The Shopbot does ship with a surprisingly competent little 3D machining app called MillWizard. Like PartWizard, it's from Delcam -- the makers of ArtCam. As long as you have a program to do the 3D design work, MillWizard can do a lot for you at the machining stage.

Here's a pic of a design from Cinema 4D imported into MillWizard and inlaid the final installed result.

If you check out my 'starter' thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/22745.html?1188412004) there's some other examples of things cut with MillWizard.

knight_toolworks
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
some tricks to get drawings ready to import. close all of the vectors before importing. it is far faster. keep it all 2d as what your doing 3d would be way too slow. though I have mixed 2d and 3d in vcarve with good results.
say you have a part that has different depths. You need to make a box for each depth if they are not the same area. also for dado's and such that go clear to an edge you need to extend the box/drawing atleast the radius of the bit but a bit more is better.

rhfurniture
09-17-2007, 10:01 AM
One advantage of autocad is that it is easy to program using lsp. I have a series of routines that I use to export toolpaths directly. They are taylored for my setup, but if you are good at lsp, I would be happy to send them to you for you to addapt and use (please contact me direct). They make it very quick in most instances and I have found them 99 percent reliable, and have other benefits. In the first instance, dxfout and then in to partwiz is a good way to find out what is needed in my experience.