PDA

View Full Version : How to draw and cut this 2d/3d leg?

knight_toolworks
07-18-2007, 01:33 AM
We have the 2d drawing and the part that we want to cut 3d. the thing is what is the best way to draw the rd part so I can use cut 3d to toolpath it then import it onto v carve.
Of course cutting the whole leg in 3d would suck so just the part with the slope is 3d.

3d file

8391 (5.5 k)

doglaw
07-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Steve:

I don't have the new vcarve yet - so I can't tell you the best way to create the toolpaths for importing. However, I do think you are overlooking the machining margins in cut3d so you wouldn' t have to cut the whole thing in 3d. I would use both cut3d and vcarve to create the toolpaths for this part. But I would set the machining margins in cut3d to only machine the area involving the slope. Then use vcarve to create the 2d shape.

I can be more specific if you need. Just reply.

Doug

paco
07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Steve,

if you slice the model to 1.499", it won't machine the (flat) top but it'll still machine the sides of the model... maybe you could edit the toolpath file to remove the part you don't need (which may not be obvious to all)...? This is what I would do but I would use the whole model (need to) in Cut 3D to slice to have a good reference once import in V Carve PR (v4).
What you need is to limit the machining region but few entry level 3D CAM do this... yet.

knight_toolworks
07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
when it weas drawn the part had a square box. then it was rotated since you can
t rotate it in v carve and that caused the diamond shape. it's not a big deal if the top in machines the sides of box it sits in are. so if it was drawn with a square box that would take care of that issue I guess.
I have only imported one cut3d item into v cave and it works ok. but you can't rotate the part it has to be oriented in the direction the toolpath was done io.

lto
07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Is your need of 3D machining due to the helical notch at the right side only?

Could you cut the entire part in 2D, minus the notch? Then cutting the notch with a spiral ramp?

knight_toolworks
07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
just the notch. the problem is getting the notch drawn right so cut3d does not cut more then the notch. but I don't know what you mean about using a spiral ramp.

lto
07-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Spiral ramp in V-Carve Pro. I havn't proven this, but it may be worth some experimentation.