PDA

View Full Version : Doors and Panels

richards
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Dave Midkiff emailed these photos to me and asked me to post them for him - if I thought it was appropriate. One look convinced me that he does excellent work and that we could all benefit from seeing it.

Here are the three photos:

In his email he very graciously thanked Bruce and me for the FreeDoors/doors programs and then gave this description on how he made the doors and panels:

"The bits used were 1/2" cutter for first cut on the groove and cove, followed by a 3/4" flat bottom straight cutter on the groove. This cleaned the bottom of the cut. ( I may be able to use just this bit but was afraid it would not plunge good. ) I followed the cove cut with 1 3/8" ogee. Then used 90 deg. V-bit 1 3/8" wide. I cut the perimeter with 1/4" downspiral. I then ran the edge though a table router for the desired edge.

The wainscot was done the same way with the exception of the perimeter cut. I just added that with V-Carve Pro. The Columns were done with John Forney's Fluter, and the star is courtesy of Ron Brown. The design on the door is by James Booth.

These were cut late last week for display at a festival on Saturday, where I hoped to see some local builders. They were well received by all."

myxpykalix
03-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Wow....Pretty NEAT! I wonder where he might have gotten the idea to do wainscoting....HMMMMM...lol
It doesn't look to me like that material is mdf? It also looks like that was carved out of a single piece, as opposed to layers as i made mine. Ask for more details. I'd be interested in knowing the thickness of material to start and the various cut depths. How much did this piece weigh after cutting? Any more pictures? I like the door design also.

bruce_clark
03-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Mike,

Those are pretty cool!

It would be REALLY cool is there was some type of Cabinet Door software that was able to interface directly with VCarvePro so that you would not have to use 3 or 4 different programs to get those really cool results!

Bruce

richards
03-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Guys, all of that work was done by Dave Midkiff. He had trouble posting photos and asked me to try - if I thought that it would be appropriate. Obviously, I thought that his work is appropriate. I just wish that I had the same creative abilities.

dmidkiff
03-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Mike,
Thanks for posting these pics. I do not know how to resize. And thanks for the kind words.
Jack,
This is MDF light from Hogan Hardwoods. It came as a substitute for Trupan. It is CustomWood. It is light weight MDF and cuts really well. The panel is cut from single piece of 3/4" and the columns and base and dentil molding are applied.
And yes Jack, you did inspire me to give this a try. Been thinking about this for a while. The cut depths for the groove cut and the V-cut are -.2187 and the cove cut is -.15. The cove cut is offset by -.25 to get the width that I wanted. Still like your column better. The wieght is just less than full sheet of ultralight MDF. The panel is 34" tall and 84" long. There are no more pics.
Bruce
I agree with you, it would be a lot easier to preview to get the desired results than cutting and experimenting. It took about 4 tries to get the correct depths and offsets. But once I had that it was just a matter of sizing the door or panel and then cut.

Thanks to all for the kind words.
Dave

myxpykalix
03-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Dave, I posted this in another thread but let me tell you also. For picture editing to get your photos to post here first take them into your picture editing software you may use and resize them to 640x480. Then go to www.xat.com (http://www.xat.com) and download "jpeg optimizer". That has a slider bar that will adjust the kilobyte size of your picture to bring it down to below 50k in size without having to shrink the deminsions down. If you get it too low you begin to lose resolution but with the restrictions here, you get what you get.